Discuss What is SSE like to work for, meter fitter? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone knows anyone working for SSE in the Newcastle area or else where. Is it okay as an employer are do they expect the earth from you, with regards to high targets for fitting smart meters? Cheers.

We have a Member that works for them. @7029 dave may help you.

Yes hello, I have worked for them for 7 years, steady number, the work load is up and down, better than house bashing ?, depends on your expectation really, good number for me in me mid 50's, still playing with electrickery, serious we need people with electrical experience, they are looking for electricians for dual fuel, gas safe card an all that, training will be provided.Give your CV in.

Yes hello, I have worked for them for 7 years, steady number, the work load is up and down, better than house bashing ?, depends on your expectation really, good number for me in me mid 50's, still playing with electrickery, serious we need people with electrical experience, they are looking for electricians for dual fuel, gas safe card an all that, training will be provided.Give your CV in.
Cheers Dave, but how many meters do they expect you to fit per day. Is it a realistic target?

Yes, the area is quite vast, could have a job 15mins away the next could be 1hour+.
okay, so are you working late every day, have you got to work evenings and weekends. So would you recommend them as a good company. Well if it's better than house bashing, then it must be okay. Sick of lifting floors boards. Ha, ha.

Answer to your first question, 99% you would be dual fuel, because that is the way forward, also you have to be on stand by, my rota is 1in 4, but depending on size of staff could be 1 in 7, you get payed a retainer, then 3hrs a job1.5 double time Sundays or after midnight.

Answer to your first question, 99% you would be dual fuel, because that is the way forward, also you have to be on stand by, my rota is 1in 4, but depending on size of staff could be 1 in 7, you get payed a retainer, then 3hrs a job1.5 double time Sundays or after midnight.
Cheers Dave, you've been a huge help mate.

Hia Dave,

I am due to start in April (swansea) it would be of been February but I have holidays booked so have to wait until then (sadly).

How long are you roughly out of the house each day? And is there anyway to earn more as in overtime on weekends? Or are you expected to work weekends which is covered in your salary?

Heard a few hurry story's so just trying to find out as much as I can before I sign the contract!

Any feedback would be much appreciated,

Thanks

Matthew

Hi, I'm thinking of applying for a meter fitting job with sse, does anyone know what the starting wage is? And how long till your fully trained? Thanks

Hi, I'm thinking of applying for a meter fitting job with sse, does anyone know what the starting wage is? And how long till your fully trained? Thanks
I suspect you will be interviewed ask these question then, get the answer from the Horses mouth

I started back in Sept and just finished the training yesterday. They were looking for an electrical or gas qualification when I started but I think that's no longer a requirement - might be wrong on that though. They've also just introduced a rota system so money may change too but wage was is in the region of £23.5K and goes up to somewhere in the region of £29.5K once qualified cos you do core hours plus additional hours, works out at 42.5 hours a week I think. Overtime was also available but not sure of the details or whether it still is as the rota might now cover the hours they need covered.

What will happen when the smart meter roll out is completed?

Is thi as smart move so late on into it for a very low rate?

I have no idea, it's a genuine question.

He'll likely make regular money until that unlikely event happens. Let us know how it all goes @PhilM, first day on the job and all that (unless they got you to sign a confidentiality clause) remember, we can all be trusted on here - mums the word!

Not sure what will happens once rollout is complete, presumably they'll still need some of the people they've employed cos "smart" will become BAU and meters will still need to be changed. Plus it's a big company so should be plenty of opportunities to move around if I want to, will just have to see how it goes. The money may not be great but it covers what I need so I'm happy, and they seem to be a decent company to work for - so far anyway.

Reply to What is SSE like to work for, meter fitter? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net