Discuss what is the correct sequence for locating faults? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
i'm a bit confused with this question, it doesn't state what kind of fault so the question is open to a broad spectrum, i'm aware the first point is speak to relevant people regarding faults but after that it could go so many ways.

am i missing something here? i'm reading through the nvq3 electrical installations book and it has bullet points referring to the logical stages of diagnosis and rectification and a section on information required for fault location but no reference to any sequence for location.

do i split the logical stages up into locating and also rectifying to get answers to two questions?

thanks in advance

As to the question stick to it it does not ask for rectification procedures. It sounds like the bullet points provide the logical sequence surely. As you say first enquire and gather any info you can about how when where and what exactly happens when the fault occurs. Using sight smell and possibly touch look for obvious answers. Then you will inspect the item that is faulty but you will also do tests like IR continuity etc.

thanks for he reply, yea that seems the most obvious response i was just wondering if i missed an industry standard sequence, as thats what the questions seems to reference too.

i just wish they worded the questions a bit better, if they where all put in lamens terms id have this done in half an hour but the way its put it takes me half an hour to understand exactly what they are asking.

oh and there is also a question referring to the procedure to rectify the faults hence my comment on splitting the bullet points into two parts to answer two questions.

Is this a legitimate question from a paper? If so it's blooming stupid.

Being skilled/competent in fault finding is all about having the ability to approach every eventuality dynamically, on a case by case basis.

If this is from a testing course then the answer would be:

1 stop testing sequence
2 investigate fault and remedy
3 Re-test circuit to verify fault has been removed
4 Resume testing sequence

If the question is relating to a more general area then without specific fault information it would be stripped back to things like safe systems of work, competency and verification of operating procedures - which would would be a lot of waffle.

Yea that is word for word what is on the paper, it's an NVQ knowledge paper, all the questions are worded in a similar manor, I have a headache from working out what they actually want from some of the questions, I'm reasonably long in the tooth but they make you feel stupid because I feel I should know the answers, I do but not when they word it so obscurely.

There was onother question on interperating (or some other obscure word to that effect) drawings to find locations and items of equipment?? Now I bet there is a much better way of asking that question, I've refered to cross referencing drawings with other trades and using a legend, but I'm just weeing in the wind as I'm not 100% sure that's what they are asking.

If this is covering an existing installation and you have been called in to identify (and then rectify) the fault then you would usually operate as follows:

Obtain Information about the fault: Ask the people who have experienced the fault for what happened and its frequency ask about the history of the fault, gain as much clarity as you can from all available local sources.

Assess the Information: using your knowledge and experience and the reports assess what the likely cause of the fault may be.

Investigate: based on the above information conduct appropriate testing to ascertain if the fault is as you proposed. If it is not then reassess the information.

Then you are on to rectification
Resolve: Once the fault is identified then you need to safely rectify the fault, by repairing replacing, reterminating, etc. Follow safe systems of work.

Test: once the repair is completed test the circuit to ensure that it is safe and compliant and error free.

Reply to what is the correct sequence for locating faults? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock