Discuss What is the legal definition of an electrician? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The BS7671 says competent person- A person who posses sufficient technical knowledge, relevant practical skills and experience for the nature of the electrical work undertaken and is able at all times to prevent danger and, where appropriate, injury to him/ herself and others.

To me that reads there is no such thing because one person wouldn't be able to be all of the above for every aspect of electrical work.

We all have our fields which we are comfortable to work in, so we usually just stick to them. See the thread earlier about becoming a panel wirer as a example, someone confident in house bashing but has prospects else where, but uncertain what it involves.
that's what separates us from the diy brigade,knowing ones limitations

<<< What is the legal definition of an electrician? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Something that's black & crispy hanging from the light fitting???
:troll:

Correct me if im wrong, but any man, woman or dog can get some tools, basic cheap supplies and a 98 trabsit with a magnetic sign saying "Joe Public: Electrician". The Sparksafe scheme is trying to get into practice as far as i know, im with the ETT ( Electrical Training Trust) in NI and the chief exectutive of ETT Derek Thompson seems to be pushing quite a bit for it to come into play, infact, im wearing an ETT hoodie with the logo on it right now:
What is the legal definition of an electrician? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Attachments

• What is the legal definition of an electrician? 20140106_211828 - EletriciansForums.net
    20140106_211828.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 103
I have a sweat-shirt with "****-star" wrote on the front,but nobody wants to help me make a film.....

Correct me if im wrong, but any man, woman or dog can get some tools, basic cheap supplies and a 98 trabsit with a magnetic sign saying "Joe Public: Electrician". The Sparksafe scheme is trying to get into practice as far as i know, im with the ETT ( Electrical Training Trust) in NI and the chief exectutive of ETT Derek Thompson seems to be pushing quite a bit for it to come into play, infact, im wearing an ETT hoodie with the logo on it right now:

Fuel I am aware of this new scheme in NI. It just looks like another 'subscription' scheme that carries no weight. Hardly anyone outside of the electrical contracting industry in NI has ever heard of it!

Fuel I am aware of this new scheme in NI. It just looks like another 'subscription' scheme that carries no weight. Hardly anyone outside of the electrical contracting industry in NI has ever heard of it!

Couldnt agree more, have asked a few and alot havent heard of it... They gave out these hoodies with the hope of their 100+ apprentices would walk about wearing it to work to get the name seen it seams. Their website states:

" SparkSafe is a Licence to Practice system for electrical workers, operated for the benefit of the construction industry and its customers. "

Seems like they are forming a union of some sort to me, this explains quite a bit...

https://www.sparksafeltp.co.uk/CMS/MemberServices/Newsline/NewslineArticleDisplay.aspx?ID=114

SparkSafe is a Licence to Practice system for electrical workers, operated for the benefit of the construction industry and its customers. "
[/QUOTE]

Seems like tripe to me. A licence for them to line their own pockets with another un necessary scheme.

John Wayne electrical will still continue trade with a licence or not!!

operated for the benefit of the construction industry and its customers.

Seems a bit of a contradiction to me does that!! If the Electricians are paying for this licence, then surely the system should be operating for the benefit of the licence holders not everyone else. Any benefit to the construction industry and it's customers, would or should be seen as secondary!!

Anyway, it's No alternative to a government regulated National Register for Qualified Electricians, that's for sure!!

I suppose you could say an electrician is someone who has paid 4k and gone on a 5 week course, that person took a 60 question A,B,C or D multi choice and got more than 40 questions correct, they then joined Napit and paid their 400 notes and got approval to enter properties in the United Kingdom to undertake electrical installation work and therefore are qualified bonafide electricians :earmuffs:

I suppose you could say an electrician is someone who has paid 4k and gone on a 5 week course, that person took a 60 question A,B,C or D multi choice and got more than 40 questions correct, they then joined Napit and paid their 400 notes and got approval to enter properties in the United Kingdom to undertake electrical installation work and therefore are qualified bonafide electricians :earmuffs:

And the main reason Why Mr Skelton was invited to speak at a parliamentary meeting!!

Just came accross this thread,

IET Wiring Matters have a definition. See "https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj8xfXB_LvLAhXIbRQKHXgpCaAQFggjMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Felectrical.------.org%2Fwiring-matters%2F44%2Fcomplete.cfm&usg=AFQjCNH4oFPRc6LUuP76H3juEiB6bkrf-g"

one paragraph says say "For all new entrants to become recognised as an electrician the Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing
Electrotechnical systems and equipment (building structures and the environment) is required."

Without being too picky, the question is flawed! Legal is not a useful term to use these days.

We have various forms of law and different lawyers in the legal profession will follow their different paths. Parliament makes laws and calls them Statutes, so leading to a possible Statutory Definition, doubt if there is an Electrician one though. While the regs themselves do not mention tne E word many times at all and then they are non statutory. Could look at the Electricity at Work Regs? Anything else cannot be legal in my book.

You do get legally defined and protected titles such as Doctor (MD), Nurse, Architect (and Engineer in some countries) but Electrician isn't one of them.

A pervert with a gambling and or drinking problem who doesn't tidy up and is on rock star money according to all other trades.

That might just be the firms i've worked at though.

Reply to What is the legal definition of an electrician? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock