Discuss What multi function test meter? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You could hire one and see if you like it. I would say don't get a metrel. The leads are very non standard so any probs you have to replace the whole lead kit. I had a go with one of the top of the range ones and it is complex, unnescesarily so. I like simplicity with MFTs'

You could hire one and see if you like it. I would say don't get a metrel. The leads are very non standard so any probs you have to replace the whole lead kit. I had a go with one of the top of the range ones and it is complex, unnescesarily so. I like simplicity with MFTs'
I have a Metrel and would never buy one again ;)

Everyone will have different opinions on which tester is best, and often the best one is the one with which they are most familiar.
Familiarity can be an advantage as it will speed up testing for you and help you avoid errors in testing.
Simplicity is a good approach as you will be using it often and having to adjust settings needs to be straight forward.
If you search for multifunction tester on this forum then you will find many threads discussing the advantages of different testers, however it comes down to your personal preference (and budget) in the end.
If you list out the tests that you will want to do and the functions that you are hoping to use, e.g. downloading data, bluetooth compatibility and so on and then look for the tester that meets those requirements.
Presumably your budget will also need to cover, multimeters, voltage testers, possibly a proving unit, and depending on your requirements, clamp meters, sound level meters, lux meters, fluorescent tube testers and so on, so it would be a good idea to assess all that your budget needs to cover so that you can then know how much is available for the multifunction tester and work from there.

Hi,dude,what MFT had you used before? Sticking to one you are already familiar with,can speed things up.

I am new to MFT so any MFT I buy I have start from scratch. I take Richard's advise and planning to revise my budget.

Each to their own and everyone will have their own opinion...HOWEVER, the advice above about buying a good one and sticking with it is sound. I've had my Megger MFT for a few years now and it has never let me down. Not worth going cheap just to save a few quid and then regretting it until you can afford a replacement. Megger or Fluke for me. I used the Kewtech on a course a few years back and found it easy to understand (from scratch) but I don't think the build quality is as good ...

Reply to What multi function test meter? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock