1. We've split off Commercial Electrician Talk and Industrial Electrician Talk from the main Electrical Forum. Please take note when you're looking for and posting new threads. :) 

Checkout the new Electricians Directory which you can add your business details to for free.

We've also teamed up with an insurance firm to offer you guys some discounted insurance. These guys will customise your insurance to fit your needs perfectly. Enquire using the following pages: VAN - FLEET - PROFESSIONAL INDEMNITY - OTHER TYPES OF INSURANCE.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Checkout the new British Forums, register for free and enter the competition to win a £25 Amazon Voucher!

Dismiss Notice

Discuss What on earth is this attached to a consumer unit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.co.uk.

1. Martin Kerr

Martin Kerr Regular EF Member

Is that not a Sangamo time clock beside the digital meter?

1 person likes this.
  2. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Lagentium

Lagentium Regular EF Member

Cannabis farm? Haha

4. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

They are actually the correct breakers for those boards, MK breakers at the time were merlin C60 but with MK branding put on the front. The earlier MK LN type MCBs were Siemens rebadged

1 person likes this.
  5. drzsta

drzsta Regular EF Member

I only bother to fit merlin gear hence the emoji in the previous post.

6. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  7. slingshot2000

slingshot2000 Regular EF Member

That's what I thought!
    What was the "electrician" looking at?

8. darkwood

darkwood Dreams in which I'm dying are the best I ever had. Staff Member

The spacing factor for that trunking is looking spot on too, I take it these 'sparks' don't think it needs applying in domestic as I see this all the time.

9. YoungScud

YoungScud Regular EF Member

It's a solid-state two-rate meter and a Sangam0 80A Timeswitch, used, for example, for Economy 7 tariff. The grey wire linking the timeswitch to the meter switches the rates on the meter.

10. Adam W

Adam W Electrician's Arms

The numbers 1 to 7 at the bottom of the display suggest it could be some kind of 7 day timer. I'd be up for pushing the 'menu' button and seeing what options it offers you, or if it has an override button on it see what comes on when you operate that. Alternatively your "electrician" should have been capable of identifying what it does from what circuit it is on and possibly which direction it goes off in.

My first impression was that it could be an energy meter to tell you how much energy you're using. Is this a possibility?

11. sean_ork

sean_ork Regular EF Member

There's a set of what looks like instructions folded up to the left of the timer, there might be a few clues within

12. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

Definitely a timer. Merlin Gerin to match the MCBs

15720 Merlin Gerin | 7 day 1 HP 1 channel timer w/LCD display | 399-5620 | Welcome to RS Online

1 person likes this.
  13. Martin Kerr

Martin Kerr Regular EF Member

Get an electrician that can recognise , a basic din rail mounted electronic time clock.....

silverfox1 and djelectric like this.
  14. Duckcave

Duckcave EF Member

Right then,

So the Sangam0 80A Timeswitch. This is for multi tariff management potentially?
    The Merlin Gerin to match the MCBs, could this be a timer for the towel rail or outside lighting or cannabis farming?
    And the consumer unit doesn't have any RCDs has it? is this effectively unsafe if there is a fault?

This has been a really big help guys! great stuff.

15. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

My thoughts in red.

16. Simonslimline

Simonslimline Electrician's Arms

Or Time switch even. :biggrin5: (sorry for nitpicking) :rolleyes2:

1 person likes this.
  17. Advertisement

to hide this advert.