1. Just upgrading some bits and bobs. Hang in there
    Dismiss Notice

Discuss What on earth is this attached to a consumer unit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. YoungScud

YoungScud Regular EF Member

It's a solid-state two-rate meter and a Sangam0 80A Timeswitch, used, for example, for Economy 7 tariff. The grey wire linking the timeswitch to the meter switches the rates on the meter.

2. Adam W

Adam W Electrician's Arms

The numbers 1 to 7 at the bottom of the display suggest it could be some kind of 7 day timer. I'd be up for pushing the 'menu' button and seeing what options it offers you, or if it has an override button on it see what comes on when you operate that. Alternatively your "electrician" should have been capable of identifying what it does from what circuit it is on and possibly which direction it goes off in.

My first impression was that it could be an energy meter to tell you how much energy you're using. Is this a possibility?

3. sean_ork

sean_ork Regular EF Member

There's a set of what looks like instructions folded up to the left of the timer, there might be a few clues within

4. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

Definitely a timer. Merlin Gerin to match the MCBs

15720 Merlin Gerin | 7 day 1 HP 1 channel timer w/LCD display | 399-5620 | Welcome to RS Online

1 person likes this.
  5. Martin Kerr

Martin Kerr Regular EF Member

Get an electrician that can recognise , a basic din rail mounted electronic time clock.....

silverfox1 and djelectric like this.
  6. Duckcave

Duckcave EF Member

Right then,

So the Sangam0 80A Timeswitch. This is for multi tariff management potentially?
    The Merlin Gerin to match the MCBs, could this be a timer for the towel rail or outside lighting or cannabis farming?
    And the consumer unit doesn't have any RCDs has it? is this effectively unsafe if there is a fault?

This has been a really big help guys! great stuff.

7. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

My thoughts in red.

8. Simonslimline

Simonslimline Electrician's Arms

Or Time switch even. :biggrin5: (sorry for nitpicking) :rolleyes2:

1 person likes this.
  9. Martin Kerr

Martin Kerr Regular EF Member

I stand corrected young man , figure of speech ,this neck of the woods

10. andy riva

andy riva New EF Member

This is a digital time switch.
    It looks like a schneider IHP model without the plastic see through cover
    Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2016
  11. TerminatedOnSite

TerminatedOnSite EF Member

If you buying the place to be honest with you I wouldn't bother with investigating what is hard wired to the consumer unit and wasting time investigating.
    As per last picture I assume there is no RCD protection so for safety reasons and to be able to sleep with peace of mind that my house is not a death trap I would upgrade CCU to comply with the current regulations.
    Call an electrician to come and run diagnostics he will also upgrade you earth and bonding through out the property if needed. It might be as straight forward as that. And it won't break the bank as well.

12. TerminatedOnSite

If you buying the place to be honest with you I wouldn't bother with investigating what is hard wired to the consumer unit and wasting time investigating.
    As per last picture I assume there is no RCD protection so for safety reasons and to be able to sleep with peace of mind that my house is not a death trap I would upgrade CCU to comply with the current regulations.
    Call an electrician to come and run diagnostics he will also upgrade you earth and bonding through out the property if needed. It might be as straight forward as that. And it won't break the bank as well.

13. Sparkie30

Sparkie30 Regular EF Member

Mate you are 9 months too late with your reply

Rpa07 likes this.
  14. Rpa07

Rpa07 1000 posts only 44653 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

He's just arrived, he's catching up on all threads - saying that I did just like a post dated May 2016!
    You're everywhere at the moment @TerminatedOnSite - keep it up!

Sparkie30 and Barry White like this.
  15. westward10

westward10 Electrician's Arms

Top Poster Of Month

Give me a few months I will like this one:)

Rpa07 likes this.
  16. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

It's going a bit far to suggest that an installation without RCD protection is a death trap!

Diagnostics? What diagnostics can you run on a house?

silverfox1 and westward10 like this.
  17. TerminatedOnSite

Sorry guys as Rpa07 said I'm new to the game and all over the place.

What I meant -as irrelevant as it is now lol- by diagnostic is test the whole installation and if happy with the values Chang the CU alone (if no borrowed neutrals etc).
    If I'm buying the house myself I would rip it all out and start from scratch anyway but I love what I do and it doesn't bother me if I would rip old colors 10mm cooker cable out, even if Megger comes Hi apply, anyway I'm a fish here so give me a bit more time to fit in please

I'm off drinking now have a fantastic 2017 lads!!

Barry White likes this.
  18. Rpa07

Rpa07 1000 posts only 44653 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

You're alright @TerminatedOnSite, you're just like a new puppy let off the leash for the first time. We expect you to do a little bit of wee and probably be sick at some point but you are experienced and qualified so dig in mate and happy new year puppy!
    Although from a previous unedited post where you wrote 'Andy tickle' instead of 'and tackle' it made me chortle - it may even become your nickname!

telectrix and Barry White like this.
  19. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Regular EF Member

Looks like a timeclock to bring some type of heating in line with cheap rate hours.if not for outside lights just a gess

20. dmxtothemax

dmxtothemax Regular EF Member

Could be a digital timer
    Or an irrigation controler
    Could even be for Christmas lights ?