Discuss What on earth is this attached to a consumer unit in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

I stupidly didnt take a snap of the instructions, was on a flying visit. The brand suggests its for or from a caravan oddly...

I took these other pictures though and could not identify a trip nor the reason behind there being both a digital and analogue meter. This combined with the mystery timer has us very confused.
View attachment 31746View attachment 31747

It's a solid-state two-rate meter and a Sangam0 80A Timeswitch, used, for example, for Economy 7 tariff. The grey wire linking the timeswitch to the meter switches the rates on the meter.

Hi, I am im in the middle of buying a house and came across this odd thing that one electrician cannot identify, Its hard wired to the consumer unit... any ideas?

View attachment 31745
The numbers 1 to 7 at the bottom of the display suggest it could be some kind of 7 day timer. I'd be up for pushing the 'menu' button and seeing what options it offers you, or if it has an override button on it see what comes on when you operate that. Alternatively your "electrician" should have been capable of identifying what it does from what circuit it is on and possibly which direction it goes off in.

My first impression was that it could be an energy meter to tell you how much energy you're using. Is this a possibility?

The numbers 1 to 7 at the bottom of the display suggest it could be some kind of 7 day timer. I'd be up for pushing the 'menu' button and seeing what options it offers you, or if it has an override button on it see what comes on when you operate that. Alternatively your "electrician" should have been capable of identifying what it does from what circuit it is on and possibly which direction it goes off in.

My first impression was that it could be an energy meter to tell you how much energy you're using. Is this a possibility?

Definitely a timer. Merlin Gerin to match the MCBs

15720 Merlin Gerin | 7 day 1 HP 1 channel timer w/LCD display | 399-5620 | Welcome to RS Online

Right then,

So the Sangam0 80A Timeswitch. This is for multi tariff management potentially?
The Merlin Gerin to match the MCBs, could this be a timer for the towel rail or outside lighting or cannabis farming?
And the consumer unit doesn't have any RCDs has it? is this effectively unsafe if there is a fault?

This has been a really big help guys! great stuff.

Right then,

So the Sangam0 80A Timeswitch. This is for multi tariff management potentially? Correct
The Merlin Gerin to match the MCBs, could this be a timer for the towel rail or outside lighting or cannabis farming? This circuit would need to be traced to verify it's function
And the consumer unit doesn't have any RCDs has it? is this effectively unsafe if there is a fault? Not unsafe as long as the existing circuits disconnect within the required times. RCDs would provide an additional level of safety.

This has been a really big help guys! great stuff.

My thoughts in red.

This is a digital time switch.
It looks like a schneider IHP model without the plastic see through cover
Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
I stupidly didnt take a snap of the instructions, was on a flying visit. The brand suggests its for or from a caravan oddly...

I took these other pictures though and could not identify a trip nor the reason behind there being both a digital and analogue meter. This combined with the mystery timer has us very confused.

If you buying the place to be honest with you I wouldn't bother with investigating what is hard wired to the consumer unit and wasting time investigating.
As per last picture I assume there is no RCD protection so for safety reasons and to be able to sleep with peace of mind that my house is not a death trap I would upgrade CCU to comply with the current regulations.
Call an electrician to come and run diagnostics he will also upgrade you earth and bonding through out the property if needed. It might be as straight forward as that. And it won't break the bank as well.

If you buying the place to be honest with you I wouldn't bother with investigating what is hard wired to the consumer unit and wasting time investigating.
As per last picture I assume there is no RCD protection so for safety reasons and to be able to sleep with peace of mind that my house is not a death trap I would upgrade CCU to comply with the current regulations.
Call an electrician to come and run diagnostics he will also upgrade you earth and bonding through out the property if needed. It might be as straight forward as that. And it won't break the bank as well.

It's going a bit far to suggest that an installation without RCD protection is a death trap!

Diagnostics? What diagnostics can you run on a house?

Sorry guys as Rpa07 said I'm new to the game and all over the place.

What I meant -as irrelevant as it is now lol- by diagnostic is test the whole installation and if happy with the values Chang the CU alone (if no borrowed neutrals etc).
If I'm buying the house myself I would rip it all out and start from scratch anyway but I love what I do and it doesn't bother me if I would rip old colors 10mm cooker cable out, even if Megger comes Hi apply, anyway I'm a fish here so give me a bit more time to fit in please

I'm off drinking now have a fantastic 2017 lads!!

You're alright @TerminatedOnSite, you're just like a new puppy let off the leash for the first time. We expect you to do a little bit of wee and probably be sick at some point but you are experienced and qualified so dig in mate and happy new year puppy!
Although from a previous unedited post where you wrote 'Andy tickle' instead of 'and tackle' it made me chortle - it may even become your nickname!

Reply to What on earth is this attached to a consumer unit in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net