1. We've split off Commercial Electrician Talk and Industrial Electrician Talk from the main Electrical Forum. Please take note when you're looking for and posting new threads. :) 

Checkout the new Electricians Directory which you can add your business details to for free.

We've also teamed up with an insurance firm to offer you guys some discounted insurance. These guys will customise your insurance to fit your needs perfectly. Enquire using the following pages: VAN - FLEET - PROFESSIONAL INDEMNITY - OTHER TYPES OF INSURANCE.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Checkout the new British Forums, register for free and enter the competition to win a £25 Amazon Voucher!

Dismiss Notice

Discuss What on earth is this attached to a consumer unit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.co.uk.

1. Martin Kerr

Martin Kerr Regular EF Member

I stand corrected young man , figure of speech ,this neck of the woods

2. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. andy riva

andy riva New EF Member

This is a digital time switch.
    It looks like a schneider IHP model without the plastic see through cover
    Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2016
  4. TerminatedOnSite

TerminatedOnSite EF Member

If you buying the place to be honest with you I wouldn't bother with investigating what is hard wired to the consumer unit and wasting time investigating.
    As per last picture I assume there is no RCD protection so for safety reasons and to be able to sleep with peace of mind that my house is not a death trap I would upgrade CCU to comply with the current regulations.
    Call an electrician to come and run diagnostics he will also upgrade you earth and bonding through out the property if needed. It might be as straight forward as that. And it won't break the bank as well.

5. TerminatedOnSite

If you buying the place to be honest with you I wouldn't bother with investigating what is hard wired to the consumer unit and wasting time investigating.
    As per last picture I assume there is no RCD protection so for safety reasons and to be able to sleep with peace of mind that my house is not a death trap I would upgrade CCU to comply with the current regulations.
    Call an electrician to come and run diagnostics he will also upgrade you earth and bonding through out the property if needed. It might be as straight forward as that. And it won't break the bank as well.

6. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  7. Sparkie30

Sparkie30 Regular EF Member

Mate you are 9 months too late with your reply

Rpa07 likes this.
  8. Rpa07

Rpa07 I'm so over Sintra! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    He's just arrived, he's catching up on all threads - saying that I did just like a post dated May 2016!
    You're everywhere at the moment @TerminatedOnSite - keep it up!

Sparkie30 and mykey like this.
  9. westward10

westward10 Electrician's Arms

Top Poster Of Month

Give me a few months I will like this one:)

Rpa07 likes this.
  10. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

It's going a bit far to suggest that an installation without RCD protection is a death trap!

Diagnostics? What diagnostics can you run on a house?

silverfox1 and westward10 like this.
  11. TerminatedOnSite

Sorry guys as Rpa07 said I'm new to the game and all over the place.

What I meant -as irrelevant as it is now lol- by diagnostic is test the whole installation and if happy with the values Chang the CU alone (if no borrowed neutrals etc).
    If I'm buying the house myself I would rip it all out and start from scratch anyway but I love what I do and it doesn't bother me if I would rip old colors 10mm cooker cable out, even if Megger comes Hi apply, anyway I'm a fish here so give me a bit more time to fit in please

I'm off drinking now have a fantastic 2017 lads!!

mykey likes this.
  12. Rpa07

Rpa07 I'm so over Sintra! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    You're alright @TerminatedOnSite, you're just like a new puppy let off the leash for the first time. We expect you to do a little bit of wee and probably be sick at some point but you are experienced and qualified so dig in mate and happy new year puppy!
    Although from a previous unedited post where you wrote 'Andy tickle' instead of 'and tackle' it made me chortle - it may even become your nickname!

mykey likes this.
  13. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Looks like a timeclock to bring some type of heating in line with cheap rate hours.if not for outside lights just a gess

14. dmxtothemax

dmxtothemax Regular EF Member

Could be a digital timer
    Or an irrigation controler
    Could even be for Christmas lights ?

15. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Who cares now :rolleyes:

westward10 and Rpa07 like this.