Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss What on earth is this attached to a consumer unit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. TerminatedOnSite

TerminatedOnSite EF Member

If you buying the place to be honest with you I wouldn't bother with investigating what is hard wired to the consumer unit and wasting time investigating.
    As per last picture I assume there is no RCD protection so for safety reasons and to be able to sleep with peace of mind that my house is not a death trap I would upgrade CCU to comply with the current regulations.
    Call an electrician to come and run diagnostics he will also upgrade you earth and bonding through out the property if needed. It might be as straight forward as that. And it won't break the bank as well.

2. TerminatedOnSite

If you buying the place to be honest with you I wouldn't bother with investigating what is hard wired to the consumer unit and wasting time investigating.
    As per last picture I assume there is no RCD protection so for safety reasons and to be able to sleep with peace of mind that my house is not a death trap I would upgrade CCU to comply with the current regulations.
    Call an electrician to come and run diagnostics he will also upgrade you earth and bonding through out the property if needed. It might be as straight forward as that. And it won't break the bank as well.

3. Sparkie30

Sparkie30 Regular EF Member

Mate you are 9 months too late with your reply

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rpa07

Rpa07 1000 posts only 44653 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    He's just arrived, he's catching up on all threads - saying that I did just like a post dated May 2016!
    You're everywhere at the moment @TerminatedOnSite@TerminatedOnSite - keep it up!

• Like Like x 2
  5. westward10

westward10 Ugly kids what a disappointment. Electrician's Arms

Give me a few months I will like this one:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

It's going a bit far to suggest that an installation without RCD protection is a death trap!

Diagnostics? What diagnostics can you run on a house?

• Like Like x 2
  7. TerminatedOnSite

Sorry guys as Rpa07 said I'm new to the game and all over the place.

What I meant -as irrelevant as it is now lol- by diagnostic is test the whole installation and if happy with the values Chang the CU alone (if no borrowed neutrals etc).
    If I'm buying the house myself I would rip it all out and start from scratch anyway but I love what I do and it doesn't bother me if I would rip old colors 10mm cooker cable out, even if Megger comes Hi apply, anyway I'm a fish here so give me a bit more time to fit in please

I'm off drinking now have a fantastic 2017 lads!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rpa07

Rpa07 1000 posts only 44653 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    You're alright @TerminatedOnSite@TerminatedOnSite, you're just like a new puppy let off the leash for the first time. We expect you to do a little bit of wee and probably be sick at some point but you are experienced and qualified so dig in mate and happy new year puppy!
    Although from a previous unedited post where you wrote 'Andy tickle' instead of 'and tackle' it made me chortle - it may even become your nickname!

• Like Like x 2
  9. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Looks like a timeclock to bring some type of heating in line with cheap rate hours.if not for outside lights just a gess

10. dmxtothemax

dmxtothemax Regular EF Member

Could be a digital timer
    Or an irrigation controler
    Could even be for Christmas lights ?

11. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Who cares now :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  12. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

13. Rpa07