Discuss What PIR code for old stranded cable? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TPES

Just wondering what PIR Code you would give old stranded cable? And for what reason?

Whts is the best way to tell the customer this is no longer good enough for service? Or is it if the IR test comes out acceptable?

Who said its no longer acceptable?

Just going off what i have been told and read about, It maybe a myth then, im not sure, I read that its not recognised by the IEE Wiring regs and that an upgrade is recomended.

So is this old rubber stranded cable perfectly fine then in service today aslong as passes tests?

I must be getting confussed, My mistake... at least I know the score now

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah You made no mention of rubber in the first post
These may have problems because of deteriorated insulation,it goes hard and cracks
These can be inspected and tested and okd ,but they are to be recommended to be rewired
The accessory ends may have insulation disapearing and the cable falls to bits when moved
So where possible rip it out
But I still say nothing wrong with stranded

In terms of coding, VIRs no longer comply with 17th edition due to the degradation of the rubber since it was installed and hence insulating purposes. Even if it tests as fine on the day. In most cases, you are probably looking at a code 1 ( urgent attention ) or 2 ( needs improvement ).

If you spot the cable is in a bad way, at any termination, you should aim to make it safe there and then, however you can.

In terms of coding, VIRs no longer comply with 17th edition due to the degradation of the rubber since it was installed and hence insulating purposes. Even if it tests as fine on the day. In most cases, you are probably looking at a code 1 ( urgent attention ) or 2 ( needs improvement ).

If you spot the cable is in a bad way, at any termination, you should aim to make it safe there and then, however you can.

Sorry to sound dumb but not heard the term VIR's ???

If this type of cable no longer complies to 17th regs isn’t this just a code 4 then?
Code1 would mean its an immediate danger/Unsafe if the IR tests come out ok and terminations are fine how can this be a code1?
Even a Code2, (Needs Improvement) how would this make it unsatisfactory if all test results are ok?

Surely all you can do is recommend they upgrade but cant fail them on a PIR.

What would you say to justify these codes to the customer?

VIR = Vulcanised India Rubber something to do with adding sulphar to basic rubber

I beleive it came into use about 1940s and went out of use in 60s, so cable could be 40 to 50 year old, when I started we use to be told its life was 15 to 20 years max. I removed tonnes of it.

It depends how it looks and tests as to weather it fails the PIR or not.

Nearly all that i come across now is brittle and falls apart as soon as you move it.

If the cable fails the insulation test or the insulation is brittle and breaks off when inspected leaving bare live conductors then in my opinion it is Code 1. If the insulation is still flexable and passes insulation test then no code unless its rubber or led cable which Part P identifies as beyond its expected life in which case Code 2.

Reply to What PIR code for old stranded cable? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net