Discuss What routing techniques do CCTV installation professionals use that DIY doesn't generally? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jason2000

The more I think about doing a DIY CCTV installation, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that I'd be far better off getting it done professionally: they have years of experience, will consider routing cables impracticable by DIY enthusiasts, and will have the necessary expensive equipment to help in the process.

But I could be wrong, and in fact most CCTV installation professionals will take the easy route, ending up doing a job that I could have done in the first place.

Will most CCTV installation professionals consider routing cable inside wall cavities routine, for example?

Will they try to avoid routing cable on wall surfaces if possible?

How nice looking is the average professional installation compared to what a DIY enthusiast could have done?

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason: It really depends on the installer, some will go out of their way to hide cables while others will just go with the easiest route from points A to B. If your going the professional route for the install, make sure your there when they come to Survey / price (If they say they can give you a price over the phone without a survey, walk away) the job & make a point of asking about hiding the cables & make sure to get several prices & don't just pick the cheapest. Try to find a small to medium size local company with a good reputation, one that will send a Tech to price the job & not just a salesman.

You don't run cables up the cavity wall if its the outside wall

It all depends on the property... the construction and the budget...

A lot depends on where you are trying locate the cameras and DVR and where your router is located after that it is down how the property is constructed and what floor coverings you have laminate flooring and tiled bathroom floors kills any chance of routing cables under floor boards

The routing of cables is 100% experience driven
Either you get the experience working with someone who has done it many times or you do what is acceptable to yourself and just do the best you can

A good electrician is probably your best bet for installing cables neatly. I would guess that most professional cctv installers would be more familiar with commercial premises than domestic.

Where and how cables are routed will also depend on what you specify at the quotation stage.

Reply to What routing techniques do CCTV installation professionals use that DIY doesn't generally? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock