Discuss What would you expect from a trainee ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Matthew87

Evening guys, im looking for a little bit of advice and guidance for my current situation please

I currently work full time as a trainee electrician, and have had this job for the past 6 weeks while studying my 2365 level 2 at college on evenings

what I would like to know, is from your experience with trainees, what would you expect from somebody at my stage of training ? And at what rate would you expect the trainee to be progressing with jobs they are able to do ?

I always try my best, and at the minute my jobs are basically sweeping up and carrying tools, which im fine with

I just want to make sure im doing everything I can to make it worth his while having me as a trainee

Thanks very much

Matthew

Seriously though, an insatiable appetite for knowledge, turning up on time with the right gear on, the will to build up a good set of tools, politeness to customers, the ability to put the bloody phone away until break time.
Just generally a good attitude.

Seriously though, an insatiable appetite for knowledge, turning up on time with the right gear on, the will to build up a good set of tools, politeness to customers, the ability to put the bloody phone away until break time.
Just generally a good attitude.

Thats keeping them in good knick as well.

nothing worse than a rusty tool, you can tell a lot about a sparky by looking in his toolbox/bag

Especislly the flashy gits on here with veto pro pac's XD

and try ( being polite and tactful) to get your employer to get you using tools as well as carrying them. you're there to learn the trade, and while general fetching and carrying is part of being as trainee, you don't want to be just used as a labourer.

Buy some tools if thats your responsibility nothing amazing some tools to get you going. Ask questions and learn from the answers. Take a small note book if you have to, write stuff you may forget in there just notes or procedures. be on time every time. stay off your phone.

Also, if you've got nothing to do ask for something or pick up a brush and tidy up the work area. That goes a massively long way, huge amounts of brownie points for that.

Thanks guys, looks like I'm on the right track then

Im always early for work, never use my phone in work hours, always asking questions and have my own tools

Always asking if he wants me to do anything and if not I just tidy up any mess

I suppose I just wasn't sure if I was doing enough, although I'm limited to what I can do

Thanks

You're limited now but a couple of years down the road?
Stick with it, keep up that attitude and stay hungry for knowledge. You'll be fine.

listen to what your been toldWe have 2 trainees at my work one listens and does his job ok he's slow but he does it Other doesn't listen and have to keep telling him all the time and you nearly end up punching him and all he wants is an easy day all the time which I never give him.I try let them do as much as possible obviously I keep my eye on both and check everything but I see it as that's the only way they will learn.

You ALWAYS get the last place to sit on site during breaks...now you might be lucky and have a cabin, but if its just a standard re-wire ... you get the last coil of wire, tool box, bag of shyte to sit on...so yep, basically ure eating ure lunch off the floorboards :) ... unless i had it rough lol.

sweep up properly, put tools/materials back as you found them as this will show you can be trusted to carry out simple tasks. try to anticipate when, for example, sparks is up steps and needs tool/screw/sleeving/lamp/diffuser etc., before you're asked. wait till spark says 'let's have a break' as they'll want to stop at a natural point, not at 10am on the dot, for example

Thanks guys, that's put my mind at rest a bit then !

A few of the hands on jobs I've been left to carry out are :

chasing out and capping for extra cables

using the hilti for drilling and fixing conduit boxes and saddles

Terminating sockets

replacing gu10 bulbs

Replacing transformers on 12v downlights

Routing and termination of cat5e

Reply to What would you expect from a trainee ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net