Discuss What would you have and why? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I can't get the hang of the quote thing. Thanks handysparks, why would you use PIR in cupboards instead of door switches? Also would it be possible to overide the PIR when I've got the cinema in operation? Wouldn't want the lights coming on every time someone goes to the loo.

I can't get the hang of the quote thing. Thanks handysparks, why would you use PIR in cupboards instead of door switches? Also would it be possible to overide the PIR when I've got the cinema in operation? Wouldn't want the lights coming on every time someone goes to the loo.
I suppose the cupboard light switch depends on what sort of catch is fitted to the door. If there's any chance of the door remaining slightly ajar, then a door switch is no good.

Yes, you can fit override-on and/or override-off switches to a PIR controlled circuit. I'd just keep it simple and just fit a PIR where you always want the light coming on.

First of all I'd give Kevin McCloud a phone call and see if the Grand Designs lot are interested in filming it! I can't even begin to think of all the questions you have to ask, not only the electricians but other trades also. Are you employing a project manager or managing the project yourself? I'd get the companies listed by the other lads on the blower to be able to take you to some installations you can actually see in situ and up and running. Some reps can promise you the earth to get you to buy something then not give a ---- once it's paid for. I hope you get a decent spark on the job, because lads who care make a hell of a difference to a job. Good luck with it all!

Great info thanks!
We tried George Clarke but he wasn't interested. It's listed as well which makes it more awkward. We're going to project manage ourselves, I'm planning on doing the run of the mill electrics but will probably need to get someone in for the fancy stuff (audio and automation). We didn't realise we needed to think about all this stuff for the architect to include in his plans. We naively thought it would come after. We have to pick which wood burner we're having now etc.
Good tip about going to have a look at some installations in the flesh. We don't have huge budget so it would be gutting to waste money on something sh**e.

Reply to What would you have and why? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net