Discuss What's it called where you're from in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A couple of you got me thinking earlier ( Can't remember who it was sorry ) but it was calling Lunch Dinner and dinner tea or something like that.

So how many different things have different names dependent on where you live:

I will kick it off from South Yorkshire ,
A fishcake is Potato then fish then Potato in Batter
A rissole is orange with Breadcrumbs
And a breadcake is a bloody breadcake.

Let's here em!!!!

Interesting.
Do your fishcakes have thick slices of potato or mashed ? We have a fish scallop which is a slice of potato and slice of fish. The jewel of Hull fish shops is the pattie though. We put them in breadcakes too. .

What does your tea do when it's in the pot ? Brew ? Stew ? It mashes round here.

A fishcake is Potato then fish then Potato in Batter
A rissole is orange with Breadcrumbs
And a breadcake is a bloody breadcake.

Scallop fishcake is a slice of potato then fish then another slice of potato.
A fishcake is mashed potato and fish combined then coated in breadcrumbs.

Rissole- aint got a clue never had one

Bread cake - Bread cake It was a bread bun when I lived up north (county Durham)

another is Scraps - scraps of batter that you get for free at the fish shop. often known as bits elsewhere

scouse is just about all leftovers of beef or lamb and veg, made into a sort of stew. elsewhere known as lobby.

lava bread is seaweed.

Interesting.
Do your fishcakes have thick slices of potato or mashed ? We have a fish scallop which is a slice of potato and slice of fish. The jewel of Hull fish shops is the pattie though. We put them in breadcakes too. .

What does your tea do when it's in the pot ? Brew ? Stew ? It mashes round here.

tea mashes here too

Hull has "chip spice" in fish shops not seen it anywhere else

Scallop fishcake is a slice of potato then fish then another slice of potato.
This is a Fishcake, your location says Yorkshire, you should be ashamed lol

A fishcake is mashed potato and fish combined then coated in breadcrumbs.
No No No That's a Rissole in Sheffield and surrounding areas

Rissole- aint got a clue never had one
See above

Bread cake - Bread cake It was a bread bun when I lived up north (county Durham)

another is Scraps - scraps of batter that you get for free at the fish shop. often known as bits elsewhere

tea mashes here too

Hull has "chip spice" in fish shops not seen it anywhere else

Ah glad you know of that one, the flavour of my youth. If you're a fan you can buy it in tubs. Outside of Hull it's a rip off though, best to buy in bulk probably.

Supper = with chips
Fish supper = Fish & chips
Sausage supper = sausages & chips
Sausage bap = sausages in a bread roll
Chip buttie = chips in a bread roll
Dinner = Evening meal
Sunday dinner = Meal at lunchtime on a Sunday
Pastie = left over chips and sausage meat minced up, battered and deep fried
Pastie bap = pastie in a bread roll

Definitely dinner at 12 o clock and tea at 5 o clock - lunch is something the tory MPs do.

Up here we have something called a dab. Often get a dab and chips - basically it's fish between two hash browns.

Used to be able to get "scrumps" when I lived in Bath left over bit of batter and iffy chips
H&S got their nickers in a twist and they got banned, scrumps that is.

I once went in a chippy in Perth ( north of the border, a strange but pleasant land ). I asked for puddin, chips n gravy.
What followed on from my request was a deep and lengthy, almost heated debate about what I was asking for. I wish I had taken a Scottish phrase book to be honest. Finally, the penny dropped, ( or I thought it had).

" ah, you mean a poodin ", says the fryer, "why didny ya saaaay"
" well I did say puddin but never mind all that, can I have a poodin" ?

When it came, it was white, long greasy looking thing in batter.

Should have asked for a deep fried mars bar

Stoke, so bread cake is a BAP!!!!
Fishcake is squished fishy bits in breadcrumbs.
Snapping is lunch. That might be global?

And tomato sauce (not ketchup) is kept in the fridge where it belongs!!!!

Gigs are glasses
Kegs are trousers.
Scraps are delicious and can't get them here anywhere.
Parky means its cold.
Ginnel is an alleyway.
Are you lekkin ? Is are you playing out?
And of course, it's Breadcake all the way!

@Dan is being educated slowly in my Yorkshire accent.

Gigs are glasses
Kegs are trousers.
Scraps are delicious and can't get them here anywhere.
Parky means its cold.
Ginnel is an alleyway.
Are you lekkin ? Is are you playing out?
And of course, it's Breadcake all the way!

@Dan is being educated slowly in my Yorkshire accent.

As you already know - As above!!

Toft darn pub forra bevy :)... my favourite saying.

Reply to What's it called where you're from in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net