Discuss What's Your opinion on this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Richard35

Hi folks,

I was just curious to know what the most important and attractive attributes would be for you when considering taking on a new electricians mate?

I have listed the ones I can think of below.

It would be really interesting to know how different electricians in the industry rank their selection criteria.
Perhaps your rough geographic location would be an interesting factor as well.
There is a simple scenario at the bottom of this post which would be good to have some feedback on too.

What order of importance would you put these in? ( 1 being most important and moving downwards to least)
Please add any which I have not included or thought of.

1. Age preference
  2. Own tools
  3. Own transport
  4. Relevant experience
  5. Keenness to learn
  6. Reliability
  7. Motivation
  8. Qualifications ( C&G 2+3 etc)
  9. ECS card holder
  10. Rate of pay related to experience
  11. Gender?
  12. Any other skills? (communication, business, sales, welding, soldering, website, etc etc)
Scenario Question:
If a motivated person rang you up to offer their labouring services as a mate/labourer but did not have any formal qualifications or much experience, but had a lot of motivation + keenness to learn and their own transport would this be enough for you to give them a trial run?

I hope this throws up some interesting results.................

Rich

An electricians mate is not really a mate without experience I'm afraid. An apprentice/trainee is not really such unless enrolled in a route of qualification.

If I was a company looking for a mate I would be looking for relevant experience, reliability, own tools and transport, and an ability to turn up and do the job straight off the bat with no babysitting. If you are going to advertise yourself as a mate you really should be capable of fulfilling the requirements of the role.

Qualifications would also be an indicator of your level of knowledge, but most mates roles will not be dependant on this.

An electricians mate is not really a mate without experience I'm afraid.

See, they say the north is friendlier, and up here we call everyone 'mate'. You could have slashed my tyres and put a brick through my window and it would be 'Oi mate, the **** do you think you're doing?"

But I disagree about the experience part. I started out as a mate for my uncle over two years ago, and when I did start I didn't have a clue - you could probably find my earlier posts just showing how little of a clue I had. As for not being a trainee without being enrolled, I again disagree. I started with my uncle in November 2014, I'd missed college enrollment by a month or two and had to wait until September 2015 to officially begin my training. However, I would have classed myself as a trainee during the 10 months I was waiting. I was learning, in training - on the job training, but training none-the-less.

With respect Hightower, getting taken under your Uncle's wing is completely different to applying for jobs as an electrician's mate where you will be expected to be able to do the job you are applying for.

I'm saying that without experience or qualification I fear the OP will struggle to convince prospective employers of their suitability for the role against others.

I totally agree with your other post though Hightower that the enthusiasm and reliability of a person can take them a long way though.

With respect Hightower, getting taken under your Uncle's wing is completely different to applying for jobs as an electrician's mate where you will be expected to be able to do the job you are applying for.

I'm saying that without experience or qualification I fear the OP will struggle to convince prospective employers of their suitability for the role against others.

I totally agree with your other post though Hightower that the enthusiasm and reliability of a person can take them a long way though.

Well, with respect, you don't really know anything about my uncle or the way he handles his business. I didn't land the job because of family ties - I think I saw this uncle three times in my life before I started working for him, and I've worked bloody hard to get to the point I am today (and I've still a way to go!). It wasn't one of those "don't worry, Barry will see you right, he's loads of money and can afford to pay you for doing nothing" type deals. Being an electrician's mate is pretty much bottom rung of the ladder as I see it, so if you're saying you need experience to be an electrician's mate, how do you propose he gets that experience? Should he become a plumber for a while first?

But all tongue-in-cheek aside, my understanding of the term electrician's mate is that you are learning, and can't be expected to do everything without being taught. A good electrician's mate won't take much teaching, and there are varying experience levels of an electrician's mate (as there are varying experience levels of electricians and anything else you can think of). But I guess that's the whole point of the OPs post - it seems we disagree on how relevant experience/qualifications seem to be with regards a mate.

Well, firstly I really did not mean any offence, nor insinuate you have not worked hard at your chosen profession. I know you have through your activity on here. Now back to my point.

I worked as a mate for some years and know that every job advertised will state "experience essential/needed/necessary" A lot will also ask for a current regs qualification. Some ask for minimum experience in years. I have never seen one that said "No experience necessary"

More power to your Uncle for taking someone on and letting them learn the job as they go, but I think you will find he is the exception rather than the rule.

I would say to the OP to concentrate on smaller firms to get a foot in the door and gain some experience, as this is more likely to produce results for him.

Well, firstly I really did not mean any offence, nor insinuate you have not worked hard at your chosen profession. I know you have through your activity on here. Now back to my point.

No offence taken, I have a lot of respect for you and know the sort of content you post up - I know you wouldn't do anything like that so it wasn't taken that way.

Great replies guys. Thanks for the input.

So it does seem to me that there is quite a difference of opinion on exactly what the definition 'Electricians Mate' means.
The official description on the government employment sites is that this is an unskilled / labourer position without the need for formal qualifications.

However the understanding or confusion amongst some sparky's in general is that they expect a 'Mate' to have experience and be able to 'do the job' and not need to be supervised?
This seems more appropriate to the next level electrical worker, called an 'Improver' doesn't it?

So if I have my ECS Labourer card and a level 2 C&G 2365 qualification + 17th edition wiring course, then I should be fine for applying for work as a 'Mate' in order to get more site experience and hands on practical learning. Shouldn't I?

It may be a good idea to clarify with potential electricians and agency employers whether they are actually looking for an unskilled 'mate' or a more skilled 'Improver'.

Perhaps seeking some initial electrical labouring work with smaller firms is a good approach?
I was intending to finish my level 2 + 17th edition first though, so that at least I can demonstrate my initial commitment and some foundation knowledge and commitment to the industry.

It also seems a bit of a shame that the current C&G Electrical courses don't seem to be more valued by those in the trade at the moment? Suggesting perhaps that there is a view amongst seasoned electricians that they do not teach enough practical and are too theory heavy?

Anyway good to keep the conversation going.

All the best,

Rich

It's almost the antithesis of those doing the theory. Perhaps a 'mate' is someone who can do the job but doesn't have all the qualifications. Hands on experience and reliability is worth more to an employer!

Yes I hear you Alan. I think work experience and time on the tools is correctly valued more highly by employers.

I have had a call with a company in Berkshire. They are looking to take on some new trainees and pay them an OK starting salary too!

However they prefer a College training route 1 day per week, rather than the distance learning training providers like TradeSkills4u and Able Skills.
They are of the opinion that the training centres who get you qualified faster, miss out some of the skills and practical required for commercial work on site.

Apparently, according to this company, Colleges are better for not having such a big knowledge gap between completing your C&G Level 2/3 and then actually doing the 'real' work on site?

The problem is of course that the College Apprentice route takes about 3-4 years to complete.
I know nobody would expect to learn any trade to a decent standard in less than this time frame. However with a College you are stuck living in one place for 4 years.
What if you have to move or re-locate?

It is a very tempting offer, but I do not know if I am going to be in one place for 3-4 years.

He he - Life eh! There's rarely an clear and easy path to take! ;@)

Reply to What's Your opinion on this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net