Discuss Where and how to find a reliable electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi SC: Can't think of anywhere off hand I've ever had to loop an Earth from Gas to Water.
As far as I can see though, what Murdoch says is correct. There isn't anywhere that I can find in the regs that says it has to be one continuous conductor.
So best practice aside, what BG "Apparently" did by looping wasn't actually against the rules. If one of the Earths did actually fall out then yes it was bad workmanship.

I'm not questioning whether it is or isn't against the regs and like you I've not had to run a single (although obviously in a much shorter career), but if I had to I would loop it rather than cut it.

The only instance I could think of where a single may be the only option is purely budgetry constraints. CU in one corner of the house, incoming services in the other with a very convoluted cable route and maybe customer is a bit strapped for cash. It's a purely hypothetical situation that I haven't encountered, but I was taught to loop not cut.

Maybe it's a tiny job and the bonding needs an upgrade so it's one of those things they hadn't planned on and they haven't got much cash. As I say, at this moment purely hypothetical.

And on that note, got to go and do another job for the plumbers :)

Hi SC , didn't mean that you were questioning the regs. It was sort of an all inclusive reply.

Let's hope no idiot runs into the back of you today.

I'm not saying that it might not save a bit of cable & work, but from my point of view it's better to have separate bonds & that's how I've always done it, I price for it in the job so lose nothing.
It often swings & roundabouts anyway with one or other being reasonably close to the CU.
I'm not trying to convince anyone to change the way they might do things or that my way is better than theirs, Just saying that's the way I've always done things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Where and how to find a reliable electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net