Discuss Where can I get advice on pricing domestic Electrical work? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gungho

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hello,
I am not an electrician but I hope someone can help me out? I have had some rewiring started at my house (a 3 bed semi). The work was done by a friend I've known for years, so I completely trusted him and didn't question his price. I paid him all the money at the end of the first fix. I have since been told that he may be a bit expensive. I would like some advice about his price and if it is fair and reasonable? I haven't started the second fix yet.
I realise this may not be the place for this type of discussion, if not could someone point me in the direction where I can get some electricians opinions about it?
Many thanks in advance.

first, what was his quote?

then a breakdown of what is to be fitted would help to get a more accurate price.

Where can I get advice on pricing domestic Electrical work? IMG_2471 - EletriciansForums.net

*I realise this thread may be in the wrong section ( sorry I didn't realise which section it was in at the time I posted it!)

Thanks for the response, I have attached a photo of his breakdown ( which he gave me after I had paid him)
He discounted the price from £6947 to £5400 as I was a friend.

I was also concerned because this did not include rewiring the kitchen. Just 2 reception rooms, hallway, landing, 3 bedrooms, bathroom, a light and socket in the loft. He used a plastic consumer unit (should this be metal?), reconnected the old cooker supply and some of the old pre existing kitchen sockets.

Thanks

As Tel has already asked:

Also:
Is your friend an electrician?
Is he giving you the correct certificate at the end of the job?

Yes he is an electrician. I think he works for a company. He took holiday to do my house.
He took 11days to do the first fix.
He said 3-4 days for the second fix.
He did say to me (after he started the work) that he can't sign off the work, I could get someone else to do that if I paid them. But I did't need a certificate anyway so not to worry.
I was naive as I didn't know that electrical work required a certificate. I've never had electrical work done before. I trusted my friend to steer me in the right direction.
Thanks

I don't think you should be on the internet with this. You engaged a spark at a price too do work. You and they have an agreement.

There's always a cowboy who can do it cheaper for cash, no invoice, no certs no part P

Post deleted.

Last edited:
I don't think you should be on the internet with this. You engaged a spark at a price too do work. You and they have an agreement.

There's always a cowboy who can do it cheaper for cash, no invoice, no certs no part P

Sounds like that's what he's got but without the cheap part.

The work was done by a friend I've known for years,

Are you sure he's your friend....

Buy the electrician has given the OP incorrect info. He does need a cert for this job.

I am not really sure anymore if he is a freind from what I hear. The problem is I trusted him to give me a fair price for the work, not cheap or put him out of pocket just an average price where he makes some money and i get a decent job done. I am willing to pay him what he asked. Which is what i did in good faith. I was just hoping to find out from some experienced electricians what they thought about the price?
I made the mistake of not getting quotes but then i trusted my friend and thought i wouldnt need to.
Thanks again for your help.

I would do all future communications to the electrician via email, so you have proof of conversations.
I would email him asking him if you will receive any paperwork or certs once the job is finished. See what you get back. He as stated that you don't need any but lets see if he's willing to put it down in writing.

for that price £5400) you should have the kitchen done as well and he can pay LABC the £300 to obtain a completion certificate. definitely not a cheap price as it stands.

Does this invoice include materials? if so why has he itemized trunking and capping separately? (£100.00/10m)
Also as this is 1st fix what's the £450 D/B?
Are you sure this is not the cost of the whole job 1st and 2nd fix?

Does this invoice include materials? if so why has he itemized trunking and capping separately? (£100.00/10m)
Also as this is 1st fix what's the £450 D/B?
Are you sure this is not the cost of the whole job 1st and 2nd fix?

From what I understand andy, the quote is for 1st and 2nd fix but the OP has paid £5,400 (reduced quote price) after the first fix. Correct me if I'm wrong OP.

From what I understand andy, the quote is for 1st and 2nd fix but the OP has paid £5,400 (reduced quote price) after the first fix. Correct me if I'm wrong OP.

Thats correct i paid him 5400 for the whole job. But he asked to settle up after the first fix so i trusted him so i paid him.

I guess i really want to know has he betrayed my trust?
Would anyone be willing to give me a rough ballpark figure for the job?

Obviously all i can do is appeal to his good nature. As someone has already pointed out i agreed a price with him and a deal is a deal.

Although if it had been someone i didnt know i would have checked his price and wouldnt be in this situation.

Thanks

Reply to Where can I get advice on pricing domestic Electrical work? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock