Discuss Where can I get advice on pricing domestic Electrical work? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Very quick calculation on the list you provided I come to around £4850 without seeing the job and just working on averages. That would be fully certificated and notified. But depending on where about in London you are the price could easily climb due to travel, traffic, parking, congestion zone and so on. IMO £5400 is the higher end of things so he certainly hasn't done you any favours/mates rates but in all honestly I don't think you've been done over if he has done a decent job. The only down side is the job is notifiable under part P and this should be included in that price of £5400. If you manage to get him to notify the job by using some one he knows who's registered or using LABC then the price is not the end of the world IMO.

Edit: why are you paying for his van hire? surely he should cover this or use his car.

Last edited:
This is purely my opinion:
You agreed to the price on the quote. If you have been overcharged that is another thing but you was initially happy with the price.
He has betrayed your trust, as he gave you incorrect info.
He has used the existing cooker and kitchen circuit. What test where done on these to verify they are up to scratch? Ask to see the results.
Demand a cert when the job is done.

Thats correct i paid him 5400 for the whole job. But he asked to settle up after the first fix so i trusted him so i paid him.

I guess i really want to know has he betrayed my trust?
Would anyone be willing to give me a rough ballpark figure for the job?

Obviously all i can do is appeal to his good nature. As someone has already pointed out i agreed a price with him and a deal is a deal.

Although if it had been someone i didnt know i would have checked his price and wouldnt be in this situation.

Thanks
£5400 is a reasonable price for a good complete job.and that includes a certificate and LABC notification.

Forgot about the metal / plastic CU. Where is the CU fitted? What date was the quote done? I presume after 30th June 2015?

Last edited:
for that price £5400) you should have the kitchen done as well and he can pay LABC the £300 to obtain a completion certificate. definitely not a cheap price as it stands.

The kitchen isnt part of the job and his full quote is £6947 he "discounted" it for a friend. He maintains the job is worth £6947.

Forgot about the metal / plastic CU. Where is the CU fitted? What date was the quote done? I presume after 30th June 2015?

The CU is under the stairs. He quoted in april 2016 and did the work a couple weeks later.

The CU is under the stairs. He quoted in april 2016 and did the work a couple weeks later.

Then the CU needs to be ''manufactured from non-combustible material'

Why did you pay it all after 1st fix. That is asking for trouble

I wish I hadn't but because it was a friend I totally, blindly trusted him. Even if I had only paid some of it I still agreed to his price.
The second fix is yet to happen and I am not sure how to proceed.?

I wish I hadn't but because it was a friend I totally, blindly trusted him. Even if I had only paid some of it I still agreed to his price.

You can't change that you have paid him in full. Did you get a receipt?
Regarding the second fix, get him to finish off is work. Get him to change the CU to one that is to regs. Also get him to give you a certificate for the work and LABC notification.
Send him an email detailing all the work that has been done up to now, how much you have paid and what needs doing to finish the job.

I'm guessing you haven't got a receipt or invoice from him.

I would suggest you email him to ask when the 2nd fix is happening (how are you living without electrics?), And also request an EIC and labc confirmation too.

This all sounds really messy.

IMO that is about right, I see you are in London,it does make all the difference location.When I say about right I am talking the whole job, testing as well, some guys in the smoke will not touch rewires unless 10K plus.

IMO that is about right, I see you are in London,it does make all the difference location.When I say about right I am talking the whole job, testing as well, some guys in the smoke will not touch rewires unless 10K plus.

Thanks for your reply. When you say about right, would you expect that to include the whole house including a kitchen? Or just what has been done?
The location is just inside the M25 in bexley. I don't know if that changes things.

I'm guessing you haven't got a receipt or invoice from him.

I would suggest you email him to ask when the 2nd fix is happening (how are you living without electrics?), And also request an EIC and labc confirmation too.

This all sounds really messy.

He said that he isnt qualified to do the certificate and i dont need one anyway?
The house is empty while we have the work done. There is central heating going in, and we thought a rewire was best to happen while the house is back to bare walls and floorboards.

It is all very messy as we now have issues between friends and family as he is actually distantly related by marriage.

Last edited:
He said that he isnt qualified to do the certificate and i dont need one anyway?
The house is empty while we have the work done. There is central heating going in, and we thought a rewire was best to happen while the house is back to bare walls and floorboards.

It is all very messy as we now have issues between friends and family as he is actually distantly related by marriage.

This is not true.

There are no qualifications needed to be able to sign certificates, just competence.
In accordance with the wiring regulations, all work must be tested and a certificate produced to prove that the installation conforms to the wiring regulations and is safe.
All work of this nature must be notified to building control so a building control certificate can be issued. This is law.

What your friend actually means is that he does not have access to a piece of test equipment regularly, is not a member of a scheme and did not tell building control before the work started so cannot now notify the work, and has his money now so it's your problem not his.

Last edited:

Reply to Where can I get advice on pricing domestic Electrical work? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock