Discuss where can we use plastic consumer unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The regs state "within domestic (household)". What about a garage or shed? Are these classed as "household"?

Yes.

This "Yes" answer is too short so I have to extend it............ but how........

hum...... I think you could argue plastic for an attached garage and a plastic for detached BUT I've been using metal in detached buildings long before AMD3 as its easier to terminate SWA into a metal clad box!

Thanks Murdoch. I was curious about that.

There you go OP. There are still a couple of places you may be able to use them.

What are other people's opinions on using them in an ATTACHED garage or shed?

GN4 says the non combustible requirement applies inside all domestic buildings including attached ones and those nearby.

What is classed as "nearby"? 2 meters, 5 metes.... 500 meters could be classed as nearby compared to something far away like America. Its all relative....

It is a ridiculous reg IMO, so an insulated cu is safe in commercial etc but unsafe in a domestic premises. It clearly points to where the shoddy work is mostly being done IMO. I wonder what changes will be unveiled when the 18th is upon us.

But hey ho, this has been done to death already on here.

:)

The problem with BS 7671 is its written by many people over a long period of time - so its a bit like the bible -a right mess and full of contradictions!

It is a ridiculous reg IMO, so an insulated cu is safe in commercial etc but unsafe in a domestic premises. It clearly points to where the shoddy work is mostly being done IMO. I wonder what changes will be unveiled when the 18th is upon us.

But hey ho, this has been done to death already on here.

:)

I think its because in a commercial building you will legally have a fire detection and alarm system which you may not have in a domestic property. In terms of distance of a detached building, it is due to the risk of transfer of a fire from one building to another. This is normally, in commercial buildings, subject to a risk assessment so I would not expect it to be specified in the regulations.

I think its because in a commercial building you will legally have a fire detection and alarm system which you may not have in a domestic property.

A commercial property is also much more likely to have routine maintenance, and not be subject to DIY etc.

Reply to where can we use plastic consumer unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net