Discuss Where In The World in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Well I have done the oldest install thread and also the what electrical job thread so thought I would finish it with this one.
Is there anywhere in the world that you would like to work.

Ie if you could go on a 6 or 12 month contract to work in any country where would it be, I had the chance about 2 years ago to go and work in Africa installing Generators around a lot of really remote parts of Africa but due to other business commitments I had to turn it down and to be honest I'm not sure I would have taken the Gig anyway.
I also nearly got the chance to go to iceland on a shredder installation but it didn't happen, out of my hands but that one I would have liked to have done, one for the experience but also it was a large Granutech shredding system which I used to do a lot of/ Big American shredders, lovely bits of kit.

Having worked overseas for a long time, some only months, a couple of times it was for yearrs but my fav place would have to be Finland, Helsinki to be exact, lovely place lovely people bit cold in the Winter, but the Summers?

What about the worst places people have worked, I could name about 10 off hand

Gowan then
Tehran (Iran) Freetown (Sierra Leone) Kabul (Afghanistan) Syria (Damascus) Ulan Bator (Mongolia)
Islamabad (Pakistan) New Delhi (India) Yemen (Sanaa) Colombo ( SriLanka) Joburg (SA)

What were you doing in all those places pete out of interest.

up near cheddleton, in the stafordshire moorlands is an abbatoir. think it's called gilbert's. some years ago, i was sent there by an agency. enhanced wages of £8.50/hour to allow for the location ( it was early 90's). took 2 steps inside, 4 steps back out, puked up, then back to the van and away.. worst place i ever did go.

up near cheddleton, in the stafordshire moorlands is an abbatoir. think it's called gilbert's. some years ago, i was sent there by an agency. enhanced wages of £8.50/hour to allow for the location ( it was early 90's). took 2 steps inside, 4 steps back out, puked up, then back to the van and away.. worst place i ever did go.
That bad was it?

Yeah I think a slaughter house would be beyond me as well.

A guy I once worked with did a job in a research base in Antarctica. I thought that would be an interesting place to work because you wouldn't otherwise go there; you can't exactly jump on an easyjet flight and check into a hotel there to have a nosey around, so unless you were working there I can't think how you'd get to experience the place.

it was that bad, if you went for a pint in cheddleton or leek, you could tell the slaughterhouse workers by the smell. even though they'd had a bath and come out in freshly washed clothes.

On the way to leek? I know there. Even their bone wagons stink for miles behind them. Horrible smell too.

I worked in Malta for a couple of years in the mid 70s looking after a machine shop as a toolmaker ,(original occupation) , that was nice but missed this country , I was offered work in Kuwait in the early 90s after Iraq invaded but changed my mind at the last minute , I would like to have gone to Australia but when I contacted the right people I was over 45 but they did say New Zealand was ok with my age at the time , but never bothered ......

Adams appeals to me the most, I bet a spell in Antarctica would be awesome.

When I was posted to Cyprus my mechanical colleague had spent 4 years in Antarctica, he would have been a nice guy to call a friend if he hadn't have gone native, stink boy did he hum, 4 years in the ice and 6 years in the sun, really done for him, the final nail was a Helicopter crash, scared the guy for life, not just physical scarring though.

Work in Oil and Gas Australia applied for the Australian Antarctic research program last year... Training is vigorous especially the isolation programs that you have to complete. Apparently the British side is easier to get on. Unfortunately my J.I.B card is expired!

Reply to Where In The World in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net