Discuss Which certificate for a new CCU? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm newly registered and still gaining experience. Have successfully posted on here recently.

A client has asked me to fit a new consumer unit for them. I presumed I would also need to do a full visual inspection including testing (within limitations) of their existing circuits.

I am unsure which certificate goes with this? Would it be an Installation or Condition or Periodic?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Source: http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/mediafile/100126672/Best-Practice-Guide-6.pdf

10.1 States: The alteration or addition itself (the installation of the replacement consumer unit and any other new work, such as additional final circuits) should be verified fully in accordance with the requirements of Section 610 of BS 7671 (as amended) and an Electrical Installation Certificate in accordance with BS 7671, detailing the work, should be given by the installer to the customer.

If you read on....
10.4. If a full Electrical Installation Condition Report on the installation has not been provided as part of the work, consideration should be given by the installer to stating this on the certificate with a recommendation this should be done.

Before you change the CCU, you are supposed to do an EICR or if the customer refuses you to do this, a pre-work survey.

Section 7.2 (Planned change) Of the document goes into more detail on this.

Last edited:
Issue a EIC, but before you start you must find out the state of existing wiring. As when you introduce RCD you may find it wont stay on as the existing wiring is shot. As the above post alludes to, go read the best practice guide on Electrical Safety First website. A lot of guides and useful info there from a credible body.

I'm newly registered and still gaining experience. Have successfully posted on here recently.

A client has asked me to fit a new consumer unit for them. I presumed I would also need to do a full visual inspection including testing (within limitations) of their existing circuits.

I am unsure which certificate goes with this? Would it be an Installation or Condition or Periodic?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Try a little logical thought before asking questions.
You need to certify your work, so it must be a certificate and therefore you couldn't use an eicr because that is a report. there will be multiple circuits therefore a minor works is unsuitable, which leaves the eic as the only possible option.
Also you don't have the option to apply limitations to the testing for an eic, that is only for a periodic inspection and test for producing a report. The testing you will do I shall to prove that the installation is safe to be energised and then handed over to the customer.

Reply to Which certificate for a new CCU? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net