Discuss White FP external use in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

Happygrumpysparks

Hi,

Had a look at a job today and noticed external lighting had been wired in white FP, clipped to wall surface.

I informed them mechanical protection must be provided and they insisted the board had RCD protection and it wasn't required.

Anyone else seen this before.

mechanical protection would only be required if there was a danger of the cable suffering impact damage. what's also relevant is that FP will degrade due to sunlight etc.

Was working on the roof of a huge department store a few years ago and miles of white fp was on trays to the ac units, most of the sheath was dust on the floor.

Interesting. According to the manufacturer, FP200 can be used externally. From the manufacturer's data sheet:

Sheath

Robust thermoplastic low smoke, zero halogen and reduced flame propagation outer sheath. Standard colours white and red with bespoke colours available to special order. Suitable for outdoor installation with exposure to normal daylight UV.

http://www.fpcables.co.uk/FP200_Gold_Prysmian_2.pdf

So, as per Telectrix's first sentence, mechanical protection only required if likelihood of impact damage (or some other external influence).

Is it confirmed Prysmian FP200? Or perhaps some other "equivalent"?

Interesting. According to the manufacturer, FP200 can be used externally. From the manufacturer's data sheet:

Sheath

Robust thermoplastic low smoke, zero halogen and reduced flame propagation outer sheath. Standard colours white and red with bespoke colours available to special order. Suitable for outdoor installation with exposure to normal daylight UV.

http://www.fpcables.co.uk/FP200_Gold_Prysmian_2.pdf

So, as per Telectrix's first sentence, mechanical protection only required if likelihood of impact damage (or some other external influence).

Is it confirmed Prysmian FP200? Or perhaps some other "equivalent"?

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Ive not confirmed what exactly, but I expect it wasn't Prysmain fp200 and more likely a cheaper equivalent going by the quality of light fittings.

Reply to White FP external use in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net