Discuss Who is the Best British Prime mininister since the war? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Who is the Best PM in your view

• Anthony Eden 1955-1957

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alec Douglas Home 1963-1964

• Harold Wilson 1964-1970

• Edward Heath 1970-1974

• Harold wilson 1974-1976

• James Callaghan 1976-1979

• John Major 1990-1997

• David Cameron 2010-2015

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
the romans gave us aquaducts, education and and social reform, but what have the romans ever done for us?

I'm not going to play the poll as it's too contentious, but fundamentally how do you 'rate' a PM? If it's by leadership/determination/sheer damn stubbornness then Churchill/Thatcher etc are the obvious stand-outs, but if we're rating by more subtle factors of 'who did what best and for whom' then all we're really doing is dragging out the 3 party politics arguing platform - and I think we've done that one to death already.

I'm not going to play the poll as it's too contentious, but fundamentally how do you 'rate' a PM? If it's by leadership/determination/sheer damn stubbornness then Churchill/Thatcher etc are the obvious stand-outs, but if we're rating by more subtle factors of 'who did what best and for whom' then all we're really doing is dragging out the 3 party politics arguing platform - and I think we've done that one to death already.
Well if that is your view then thats good with me, everyone here may have their own criteria about what the best means, for me it was rescuing the country from 18 years of cuts and hardship and trying to rebuild a britian who's industry had been abolished, but for others stubborness and aggression may be the reason they look for and I respect yours and their views.

Well if that is your view then thats good with me, everyone here may have their own criteria about what the best means, for me it was rescuing the country from 18 years of cuts and hardship and trying to rebuild a britian who's industry had been abolished, but for others stubborness and aggression may be the reason they look for and I respect yours and their views.

So that must be the 13 years of New Labour and 5 years of the coelition!

For me it was Paul Eddington.:wink:

I've often wondered how close to workings of government that programme was

You paint an interesting picture of the last 30 or so years of government, the 70's under Labour were hardly a good time with the enforced pay restraint, the 3 day week and the power cuts etc, with the conservatives in the eighties and early 90's I got to earn some of the best pay packets I have ever had, by the time we got into the mid 00's everything started falling apart with the unsustainable government expenditure and the massive influx of cheap Labour from abroad with a government who have sought to blame everyone but themselves for the mess ever since. If Blair and Co rescuing the country into the mire was good government then I need more convincing that it was

Difficult to vote for any of them as they all have their good and bad points and not necessarily in equal or positive measures

Last edited:
I've often wondered how close to workings of government that programme was

You paint an interesting picture of the last 30 or so years of government, the 70's under Labour were hardly a good time with the enforced pay restraint, the 3 day week and the power cuts etc, with the conservatives in the eighties and early 90's I got to earn some of the best pay packets I have ever had, by the time we got into the mid 00's everything started falling apart with the unsustainable government expenditure and the massive influx of cheap Labour from abroad with a government who have sought to blame everyone but themselves for the mess ever since. If Blair and Co rescuing the country into the mire was good government then I need more convincing that it was

Difficult to vote for any of them as they all have their good and bad points and not necessarily in equal or positive measures
I am talking about 1979-1997, so a bit farther back than 30 years, the Labour years previous we also appalling, I have never said otherwise, but pre 1979 we still had industry, post 1990 we had none, we don't even make cars now, that all died during the Dragon years.

I am talking about 1979-1997, so a bit farther back than 30 years, the Labour years previous we also appalling, I have never said otherwise, but pre 1979 we still had industry, post 1990 we had none, we don't even make cars now, that all died during the Dragon years.

The French only make cars courtsey of state "assistance"

French cars are poo, British Leyland's cars were so bad people were buying Datsuns. lol. That's what killed the car industry, &hit cars made by employees who did not give a $hit, it needed a good clear out and now we make Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Jags, Minis etc etc. So who is saying we don't make cars ? utter nonsense. It needed a revolution to kill off the unions and full adoption of the best car making practices in the world (which is largely Japanese and German.

French cars are poo, British Leyland's cars were so bad people were buying Datsuns. lol. That's what killed the car industry, &hit cars made by employees who did not give a $hit, it needed a good clear out and now we make Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Jags, Minis etc etc. So who is saying we don't make cars ? utter nonsense. It needed a revolution to kill off the unions and full adoption of the best car making practices in the world (which is largely Japanese and German.

If they had spent as much money on development as they had on "badge engineering" then things may have been different, but like many things the companies were run by engineers who thought they knew best........

So are you saying this website is just "Tory propoganda"?

According to Reuters, UK car production is expected to overtake France by 2018.

British industry in the 1970s wasn't much to be proud of.

British industry was predominantly British, with predominantly british workers. Working conditions set out in the new health and safety at work act. The strikes of the 60s and 70s helped to establish some of our basic rights as workers. In fact when bob hoskins was a shop steward at dagenham he supported the strikes by the female workers for equal pay.

Some strikes are worth while despite the inconvenience. I would have to work harder and longer if she who must be obeyed earned less.

" power to the people" said wolfy!

totally agree. from my own experience, nowadays, the toyota plant at deeside turns out 1000 engines per week. british leyland would have struggled to produce 10 a week.

I did say the last 30 or SO years

Not sure the source of your information is accurate or correct that we don't make any cars in the UK

Red Robbo was BL's biggest problem he found it was easier to strike than build quality cars

So are you saying this website is just "Tory propoganda"?

According to Reuters, UK car production is expected to overtake France by 2018.

British industry in the 1970s wasn't much to be proud of.

Your web link omits to mention a good few UK car manufacturers that are still producing cars and lists a lot that have ceased or moved production elsewhere

If they had spent as much money on development as they had on "badge engineering" then things may have been different, but like many things the companies were run by engineers who thought they knew best........

The vehicles were being built by people that couldn't be ***** and the quality or lack of it was what killed off BL

The Nissan Qashqai - Apparently a very good car, car of the year etc etc, built by hairy blokes in Sunderland, who would have thought it. Would be interested in what the Geordies actually call it.. probably Cash cow....:sorcerer:

Were Bored now, too many right wingers talking tosh, time to start another debate which can cause some tension, this subject is like Tel now, too old to be constructive.

Reply to Who is the Best British Prime mininister since the war? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net