Discuss Who needs qualifications in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Well, very good. But you've still all missed other (at least 3) mistakes/errors with the diagram.

Answers on a Postcard to...

Prize for the winning entry will be an English Dictionary. ;-)

come on think about it if you take the top offov a plug the fuse is on the right and your looking at the back of it so as it plugs in its still on the right as you havnt turned it over or owt.
by the way what do you call a collective group of sparks.....

an arguement!!!!

SHOCKING!!!! and thats not the muppet getting zapped when he funks it up!!! i was in there,at tills somone asking advice on cable choice or somthing,assistant replies "yes, that ll do it" goverment making a mockery of it,i heard screwfix owned by b n q?

Actually bq are owned by the screwfix group, not the other way round

Lol, you can spur 10000 sockets, so long as the cable is protected accordingly

Nothing wrong with a several sockets protected with a 5amp breaker, or a spured outlet, for the sake of argument a garage, outbuilding/ workshop. 3 twin-sockets, no problem. Problems occur because the cable and or the breaker exceeds demand.

Not good practice, but any halfwit could argue the supply cannot exceed the current carrying capacity of the cable because it is protected by the breaker.

This is normal cheap options and loads and loads of outbuildings are protected thus. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with it, in the real sense of

I get a few 'breakdowns' especially kitchen, ring main. Toaster on, washer on, kettle on, grill on. I've had also had oil filled elec heater on....my 32a breaker trips sometimes...Ahh, it would with 40amps or so eventually, sometimes instant, sometimes over a few minutes depending on whose breaker. Now try and tell the customer..err your load exceeds the breaker

But this is brand new (sometimes it is)...surely they have wired it up wrong then?

In effect they have, but it is by no means 'wrong' although they have skimped and cowboyed it. The circuit is protected correctly

Last edited by a moderator:
Before this post turns into a business class, aswell as a plug wiring class; The Kingfisher Groups owns B&Q and Screwfix, in addition to other businesses.

Returning to the original Post, DIYers consider their electrical work satisfactiry because a light works, or the radio plays tunes. No explaining about regs, dangers, or quailty of workmanship will ever be considered.

Have had one customer threaten to report me to Trading Standards over a simalr problem. They did not like it when I gave them the phone number.

If the customer has Trading Standards, why cant we report dangerous situations to a regulatory body?

wattsup--"Problems occur because the cable and or the breaker exceeds demand."

thats good surley- when demand exceeds the cable is where the trouble starts,

By the way the three sockets in the photo was spurred from the kitchen ring main
unfused!

jules- i agree the problem seems to be the homeowner can do whatever he likes in his own home its only when he comes to sell it that he may have a problem, ive even had property developers convert houses into flats ,all work done by some immigrant worker (i kid you not) and then just gets a spark to do a pir when hes done and then rent it out- this is still going on even as we speak ,when you explain to them that i cant issue a part p cert as requested (so they no exactly what there doing) then just do me a periodic that will do.

Regarding part P. A lot of colleges are dropping this course/qualification because of a little knowledge is dangerous, not only to themselves but also to the industry.

Regarding part P. A lot of colleges are dropping this course/qualification because of a little knowledge is dangerous, not only to themselves but also to the industry.

Its not qualification anyway, mere competence course for electrical safety.

Reply to Who needs qualifications in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock