Discuss Why can't I just replace the capacitor and everything work again :( in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JamesMichaelson

If only cap replacement worked every time, I was given good info that replacing the caps on power adapters and alarm consoles and the such would solve all my life's problems.

And now that it doesn't I'm looking for the next micro-adjustment to save myself from putting in a whole brand new unit. I got good info from this alarm company that you don't have to waste money. Am I the only one who despises replacing a "Whole NEW Alarm" or a "Brand NEW camera" just because a stupid little cap has blown or the diode has bust. I just would rather sow the finger back on than to throw the whole body in the fire.

Are there any other things to do other than caps, Infact, just list the top 10 things that go faulty with equipment.

Ready... Go

Last edited by a moderator:
If only cap replacement worked every time, I was given good info that replacing the caps on power adapters and alarm consoles and the such would solve all my life's problems.

And now that it doesn't I'm looking for the next micro-adjustment to save myself from putting in a whole brand new unit. I got good info from this alarm company that you don't have to waste money. Am I the only one who despises replacing a "Whole NEW Alarm" or a "Brand NEW camera" just because a stupid little cap has blown or the diode has bust. I just would rather sow the finger back on than to throw the whole body in the fire.

Are there any other things to do other than caps, Infact, just list the top 10 things that go faulty with equipment.

Ready... Go

As a new alarm panel only costs about ÂŁ34 nowerdays, I usually just replace it. Also PCB's are not like the old days, difficult to replace resistors, capacators etc on them now.

Its a disposable society now :)

With regards to the cap's the cap' across the incomming supply is usually a filter for mains transients and other capacitors may have similar functions without them the chips may get fried with spiking etc, another function of capacitors is as a timing device usually inseries with a specific resistor to control an impulse....etc etc, i dont know where you gained your knowledge from but im quite sure it aint the cure to your problems, the most common isue with circuit boards is dry joints, loose wires, spiked electronics, failed relays etc etc depending on each individual board and use the are all prone to different issues mainly down to poor design, bad install or enviroment.

not to mention all commercial products now use lead free solder which causes tin wiskers and doesnt have a good solder join as leaded solder does.

Reply to Why can't I just replace the capacitor and everything work again :( in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net