Discuss why do smokes randomly go off?? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lol. The walls were atrocious so there was plenty of filling, sanding and patch plastering going on. By the time it was done I was wishing I had never offered! ;)

Builder phoned me the alarms were going off at an house belonging to a gay couple
Told him to disconnect until I could get there

The builder being in his own home explained the procedure to the couple

He phoned me back a little later "They say the alarm is still going off "
I say "Did they disconnect them from the base"
"Yes said the builder but they are still sounding"
Then tell them to throw them out on the garden says I

Builder phones again "They have thrown them in the garden,but they are still going off"
Remember only the bases are left

Long story cut short,builder travels over and alarm is sounding
Its the old story of an unused battery alarm stuck in the bottom drawer and forgotten about

Its amazing that people can honestly believe that a base of a smoke detector can emit noise,but these 2 would not be convinced till the "fault" was sorted

On one of my commissioning jobs for a fire alarm in a multi million property refurb, the client decided to repaint (for about the third time) after the fire system was up and running and monitored. He found a box of latex gloves to act as dust covers for the optical smokes. Unfortunately there is something in the latex that triggers smokes, which cost two visits by the brigade. Still not sure what the chemical is but I could do with it in a test spray.

Builder phoned me the alarms were going off at an house belonging to a gay couple
Told him to disconnect until I could get there

The builder being in his own home explained the procedure to the couple

He phoned me back a little later "They say the alarm is still going off "
I say "Did they disconnect them from the base"
"Yes said the builder but they are still sounding"
Then tell them to throw them out on the garden says I

Builder phones again "They have thrown them in the garden,but they are still going off"
Remember only the bases are left

Long story cut short,builder travels over and alarm is sounding
Its the old story of an unused battery alarm stuck in the bottom drawer and forgotten about

Its amazing that people can honestly believe that a base of a smoke detector can emit noise,but these 2 would not be convinced till the "fault" was sorted

Are you really surprised Des that some people REALLY can be that thick?

thanks for pointing out the colours used today??????<<<<>>>>....the yellow that i am talking about comes on the smoke alarm it has a brown (phase) blue (neutral) yellow (monitoring cable) what i was trying to say he may have connected the yellow as an earth so when you plug this into the smoke alarm it creates an inbalance tripping your rcd.

thanks for pointing out the colours used today??????<<<<>>>>....the yellow that i am talking about comes on the smoke alarm it has a brown (phase) blue (neutral) yellow (monitoring cable) what i was trying to say he may have connected the yellow as an earth so when you plug this into the smoke alarm it creates an inbalance tripping your rcd.

I see. That wasn't clear in your first post.

That said, I'm not aware of many smoke detector which have flying tails in them any longer. What brand of detector are you using?

And in principle, you're totally right - connecting an interconnect signal to earth will trip an RCD.

;)

Reply to why do smokes randomly go off?? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net