• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss why so many wires just for a light? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi, im hoping someone can shed some light..(haha get it ) on this for me. i only wanted to change the white switch to something a bit more colourful but wish i hadn't started and would like to just put it back to how it was. but there seems to many wires to do so. theres 5 groups all seem to have 2 wires per sleeve, ive got them all mixed up and now half the lights in the house dont work. the switch is for the downstairs hall,and also works the upstairs landing, upstairs there is only 1 switch and that works the upstairs landing. (well they did until i come along) also i cant remember what one of theses switches was the original one.. please any info is greatly received.

why so many wires just for a light? IMAG0031 - EletriciansForums.net

why so many wires just for a light? IMAG0032 - EletriciansForums.net

why so many wires just for a light? IMAG0034 - EletriciansForums.net

Unfortunately once they have been disconnected it is not possible from a distance to tell which wire does what.
It is always a good idea to take a picture of the original setup so that you can restore it if required.
All the uncovered copper wires should be sleeved green and yellow (as some of them are) and connected into the terminal on the top right of the silver back box.
The cable with two red cores (as well as the earth) on the right is probably going between this switch and the landing switch.
Other than that it does seem as if you may have one more cable than necessary in some situations but could be normal in others, but no way to tell without testing.
The lower switch in your picture would have been the original because the upper switch still has one of the fixing screws in the delivery position in the plate, however both switches do the same job, the terminal layout is just physically different.

It's worth adding to the photograph it suggestion, mark the cables (I use a Sharpie and just ring them, 1 ring, 2 rings etc.) before photographing.

And I would have whole heartedly shared Richard's view about which switch is new for the exact same reason, but I have just recently done a job where about 50% of the fittings already in place still had their screws in the delivery positions.

Hi Pauletta, always a danger of this happening when a lay person tries to just change a switch or socket, looks easy, your best option would be to get an Electrician in to rectify your attempt, shouldn't cost much may be an hours work, several members of the forum are from your area, maybe someone could drop by to help out, you never know.

I imagine that Pauletta has fixed this, or had it fixed for her.
Or she's been in the dark for 3 weeks!

I wonder how it's going. Maybe @pauletta will drop us a note. I can't sleep for worrying.

Reply to why so many wires just for a light? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back