Discuss Why would you do this.... in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

Came across this yesterday!

An interesting "split" of circuits across the 2 RCD's and why the tape and RCBO!

Why would you do this.... CU Oops - EletriciansForums.net

Do people have any pride these days?

Clive I get what your saying, however surely this isn't a major issue?

it will be when they loose all the sockets in the house and can't do anything!

last one I saw like this, was one where all the circuits in the extension were on the same rcd - another muppet installation.

Probably had shared neutrals on the lights and couldn't be bothered putting it right , seen that loads of times ...

On a job like this its first impressions that make you worry. Anyone who is happy to leave a CU looking like that obviously has no pride in their work, so what the hell else is wrong behind the scenes? The fact that the kitchen sockets have been put on an RCBO on top of an RCD, and at the wrong end makes it obvious some complete berk has done this. Was there a cert available? This sort of ****e should be reported.

On a job like this its first impressions that make you worry. Anyone who is happy to leave a CU looking like that obviously has no pride in their work, so what the hell else is wrong behind the scenes? The fact that the kitchen sockets have been put on an RCBO on top of an RCD, and at the wrong end makes it obvious some complete berk has done this. Was there a cert available? This sort of ****e should be reported.
Jesus, okay it isn't good, but what is worse than can happen with a ring main in the kitchen on 2 sources of RCD? I think you are all over doing it here, obviously it is not up to 17th regs and also shows the installer has a problem understanding discrimination, but why is it a reportable issue? if it was a 16th board which was not too long ago would we all be jumping up and down with rage like you are now? PMSL.

We are assuming the RCBO is in addition to the split,but without seeing under that cover...

I have seen a couple of ingenious "A team" medium integrity re-works :conehead:

Anyone that handy with the tape,may also be useful with some links and a hacksaw...

Jesus, okay it isn't good, but what is worse than can happen with a ring main in the kitchen on 2 sources of RCD? I think you are all over doing it here, obviously it is not up to 17th regs and also shows the installer has a problem understanding discrimination, but why is it a reportable issue? if it was a 16th board which was not too long ago would we all be jumping up and down with rage like you are now? PMSL.
I'm not jumpin up and down! I'm just saying, its sh^ty looking, and it is. I'm surprised at you old lags defending it!! why would you stick the tape over the spare ways like that? Does it mean they are spare or does it mean don't switch these on as it will energise something its not supposed to?? It just doesn't inspire any confidence does it? Would anyone on here leave a CU like that??

You could pick a million boards that look crap , I installed a split board 2005 , I went back Friday because he wants extra sockets and the guys who installed 3 circuits for a Mitsubishi Air source unit had butchered the board and messed all the circuits around , I particularly liked the way they removed the old immersion circuit , they just cut the live in the board and left it floating withe the neutral and earth still connected , on top of that they burnt the cables with a blow torch , so sometimes the board gets butchered by others after you have done the job , a new metal clad board is now planned anyway , so more work for me ....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not jumpin up and down! I'm just saying, its sh^ty looking, and it is. I'm surprised at you old lags defending it!! why would you stick the tape over the spare ways like that? Does it mean they are spare or does it mean don't switch these on as it will energise something its not supposed to?? It just doesn't inspire any confidence does it? Would anyone on here leave a CU like that??
I have no idea why some muppet left it like that, but reporting it because the kitchen sockets are on 2 rcds is just over the top, end of.

Reply to Why would you do this.... in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock