Discuss Will battery failure or low voltage affect fault codes VW in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

rolyberkin

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have a 2008 VW Passat Tdi which has been no issues to me during the last six years, of late I have had a few what i believe erroneous fault codes, parking brake issue (The known parking brake issue has already been dealt with) and more recently a DSG fault code. I say they may be erroneous as on Thursday last week the indicator came up service now and today it is showing 60 days or 1800 miles which is about right.

A few weeks back it wouldn't start and I recharged the battery, today I couldn't start it and had the battery out which is not the correct size (undersized) for the car and I think is failing as it is showing quite low volts. I have additional AV equipment (video screens) for the car and it does a load of short journeys.

Anyway after opinions, could fault codes be caused by a poor or undercharged battery?

Hi - yes I've seen this before. My process is : load test battery and or replace it with the biggest one that will fit. Once a new battery is in place clear the stored fault codes and see if any return.
I think the cause is that starter cranking causes battery voltage to drop enough to cause weird and wonderful "faults" to be detected by engine mgt system.

Thanks, have changed the battery from my Golf into it today which is when I realized someone at some point in its life has put in a smaller battery (used to be a lease car so could have happened at any point) will see how it goes over the next few days and also run a parasitic draw test on it tomorrow.

Reply to Will battery failure or low voltage affect fault codes VW in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net