Discuss Will this work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Welsh

Dear all,

This is my first thread on this forum, so please be bear with me!

I've found my self in a situation where I'm having work done on my house and the electrician on the team has pretty much decreed, you buy everything and I'll fit it. Basically, I need to make sure what I'm purchasing is correct so I don't squander my budget, unfortunately, he has been pretty unhelpful when I've asked questions.

I'm fitting a set of downlights in my lounge/diner with dimmable Megaman LEDs.

Frankly, despite spending hours on the internet I'm still not really sure what is/is-not possible, what the difference between a 'Master' and a 'Slave' dimmer is etc. I would really appreciate if someone could look at the diagram I've put together and tell me whether what I want to do is possible, with the remote trailing-edge dimmer/slave combination I'm looking to purchase below:

Master:
Eclique 3 Gang, 1 or 2 Way or Multi-way 3x400 Watt Touch/Remote Dimmer Screwless Premium White JDQI403S
Slave:
Eclique 3 Gang, Multi-way Touch Slave Dimmer Screwless Premium White JDQS003S

View attachment Lounge Lighting Diagram Pg 3.pdf

Please excuse the crude diagram!

Can I ask why, considering you have an electrician engaged, you're asking on an internet forum and not contacting the guy who's opinion really matters? I.E. Your electrician

basically a simple idea. if you want 2 way dimmers, you use 1 master and 1 slave dimmer. wire according to manufacturers instructions.

Because, and I know this sounds bad, he doesn't seem to really know much about LED lights. The problem is he is a friend of the family, so it's difficult. Some of the things I have asked he ie. what suitable LED bulbs should I buy he has replied with things like - 'any, they're all much of a muchness'. Which, after just a few quick searches, is plainly not true. There are all sorts of other things I could list which have really dented my confidence, however, I'm in a rubbish situation, that I can't really get out of and that's why I've turned to this forum for help.

I'm sure he knows the basics, but I can't help but feel I have to put the leg-work in here in order to get a decent job done. Many thanks again.

family friend or not, if you have not got confidence in him, then get someone else. there's a few forum members in s.wales, i'm sure would do better.

Welsh I believe the best advice here is to get yourself another spark, any electrician worth their salt knows that LEDs are not all "much of a muchness" there are varying degrees of quality.
To me it doesn't matter a jot that he's a family friend, if he's giving crap advice then it's crap advice. I see my role as often to help the customer make the correct decision that their budget will allow and to advise and guide them through all stages of the job. If he can't be bothered to do that, which isn't difficult if we're being fair, then how can you be confident he'll be bothered to do a decent, safe job.

Sure i installed recommended LEDs from wholesales and had few phone calls recently they starting to blow, thy replace them but still hassle .. And you soon here it when someone as spent 200 on LEDs alone for kitchen lighting and you telling them they should last 10 years.. The wholesalers recommended dimming LEDs are now£15 each

what was this family friend/"spark" before the 5 week course, a shelf stacker in tesco? ( no disrespect meant to shelf stackers or tesco,just stick to what you know)

Thanks guys, but I'd really appreciate if you could look at the diagram and see if it could possibly work as it's quite difficult to explain what I'm looking to do as I am absolutely clueless. Could I use one of the gangs to switch on all of the lights in the loung area, and the other two just to switch off/on the other two sections of the lounge? Is it possible to have the slave dimmer control two completely seperate lights in the dining area, as well as the lights on gang 3 in the lounge?

Sorry, I just need to know if what I'm proposing can work with a Master/Slave combination.

Sorry. I'm a pretty slow typer!

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, it would cause all sorts of issue if I shun this guy, trust me, I've really thought long and hard about this... The best I can come up with is to basically lay out the steps in an 'installation-for-dummies' style fashion so he knows exactly what we're looking for. It's a very difficult situation.

supply L and N T/E to master switch. then 3 x 3core/E from master switch to slave. from master switch run a T/E to each set of downlights. if he don't know how to connect, sack him.

Welsh I believe the best advice here is to get yourself another spark, any electrician worth their salt knows that LEDs are not all "much of a muchness" there are varying degrees of quality.
To me it doesn't matter a jot that he's a family friend, if he's giving crap advice then it's crap advice. I see my role as often to help the customer make the correct decision that their budget will allow and to advise and guide them through all stages of the job. If he can't be bothered to do that, which isn't difficult if we're being fair, then how can you be confident he'll be bothered to do a decent, safe job.

I have been trying to find comparisons between LED's on the internet but most sites just give comparisons between LED/CFL's and incandescent. Any idea where you can look to understand the varying quality od LED's as the price does seem to vary hugely so like you say there must be varying quality LED's?

variations in wattage, beam angle, colour temperature, lumen output. for most applications i would use 5/6watt SMD, 3000K, with a lumen output of around 300lm per lamp.

And not forgetting the 'ebay specials' which are nice and cheap, but go bang after a few days! Daz

supply L and N T/E to master switch. then 3 x 3core/E from master switch to slave. from master switch run a T/E to each set of downlights. if he don't know how to connect, sack him.

Thanks Telec, that sounds like what I need to pass on! I'm assuming what you've explained there is how to connect the lights as per the diagram? Thanks a million for this and yes, if it comes to that, I promise I will.

the 3 cores might be overkill for the switches you are contemplating, but will be enough cores for any type of 2 way switching.

Reply to Will this work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net