Discuss Wind Turbines in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

We are just starting, Not straight forward what with annenometer reading requirments and planning permision regs.
This is in scotland, from enquiry to install you can be talking 6 months.
Not a lot of work yet but marketing is the all important one at mo.
hope this helps
wiggly

I may have a potential client Chris, one of my contracts managers is looking into having it fitted, I am going to fit Solar Thermal to my house and an Air Source Heat Pump to our unit so we can see for ourselves if they do genuinely offer the savings.

I'm thinking of taking a course in Wind Turbine installation and then fit one at a friend's house - I'm sure theres not much work out there but I want to be able to offer it. ASHP I'm still not convinced about but I'm thinking of going down the ST route also - although the government handling of RHIs is leaving me less than optimistic.

The RHI uncertainty is a big stumbling block, I am looking at ASHP as we do not have gas and have warm air heating which I detest, I can also heat the whole building rather than our office for a similar Kw as we use now.

Can you advise where I can find info on fixing sizes for MCS requirements, I can find the info regarding max screw sizes in relation to timber sizes but where do I find the screw sizes, manufacturers info is useless, I see some on here say 4mm and some say 8mm !!!

I don't think it is an MCS requirement (could be wrong), I think it is a building regs requirement. Eurocode 5 I believe - although it appears to be all but unachievable on a UK trussed roof.

If this helps we are currently installing 5 air to air heat pumps a week at moment.
saves a client between 40 to 70 percent.
1kw input gives 5.75kw output this is a great product for comminity halls and standard residential.

We do wind turbines and now they come in under permitted development it makes life a lot easier, however it makes it difficult to promote both Air Source and Wind Turbines in the same dwelling as both technologies are not allowed within the same standard domestic dwelling under PD.

Glen,
Thats interesting what size of turbines are you talking about that meets PD and is that england. As we are in scotland the rules may be different (as stated we are just starting on wind ) As everyone knows keeping up with all the rules and regs then changes is a pain in the rear end
wiggly

I'm not aware of any wind turbine products that meet the PD requirements on size and are on the MCS accredited list. Scotland and England have different requirements for PD - and Wales currently has no PD for wind.

The swift wind turbine of which we are a distributor of does fit the PD requirements, it is small enough to fit on a domestic dwelling, it is near silent with a maximim height of 11m required will work at 6m.

Spoken to many planning authorities about the wind turbines within wales who have stipulated it comes under permitted development, The turbine is under transition at the moment which means it is eligible for FITs tariff.

Wind Turbines 0109-tm-swift_x600-300x264 - EletriciansForums.net

I went on a training day recently, well it was free so thought I should go along,
anyway, there was a chap there doing a talk in the morning and he showed a picture of the very same turbine, that he himself had fitted on a government funded Eco house, and the day before the PM at the time came to visit it had been removed.
Why, well because it had not produced a thing...
Of course, I will get shot down in flames now, telling me how fantastic these things are, but I am not so sure...

earthstore,
with all products if they are installed properly they do work. wind speed is important.
Example you have a customer PV south faceroof happy as a pig in s......
Customer muppet company installed north face roof happy..............?
wiggly

This company at present supply their own inverters as a number were installed with solar inverters which did not perform, the capacity is 1.5kw so pretty small however flies below the radar under micro wind, it is possible to install multiple turbines if you have the space.

Tesco's did not take theirs down and there has been no complaints, I am not going to jump up and say they are the best think since sliced bread, we have recently put 3 up on our own test site to monitor, today we have also decided to add GSM metering to then publish live data to our website. We will also be adding another PV monitoring device to the system that will be able to work with wind very soon.

The web interface is supurb but will not be released till June so in the mean time we will use GSM data, start speed 3.4ms optimum 12ms

Turbine TypeUpwind Horizontal Axis with Acoustic Diffuser Ring
Rotor Radius1.0m / 1.04m Diffuser
Swept Area
3.4m2
Nacelle Weight37kg (52kg including rotor assembly)
Start-Up Speed3.4m/s
Rated wind Speed12m/s
Rated Power Output1.5kW
RPM at rated Wind speed450 RPM
GeneratorPermanent Magnet
Governing typeAngle furling/Dynamic brake
Governing wind speed14m/s
Shut-down MechanismDynamic Brake
Control IncludedYes
Grid tie versionStandard Product (include inverter)
Electrical network viability50Hz/60Hz 220V/230V US, UK & Europe
Battery charging versionAvailable on demand
Hot Water SystemAvailable on demand
Phase configurationSingle
Mounting system available4 mounting systems available
Acoustic Emissions<35dB [A] [CE Certified BS EN 61400]
Product Life20 year design life
Turbine ClassBS EN 61400 Class 2
Warranty2 year manufacters warranty (return to base

Glen,
Good info,
Question :- does it have mcs to achieve 37.9p under 5kw.
do you have any performance figures on installed systems.
Typical install time trade purchase price expected retail pm that info of course.
Thanks
wiggly

Glen,
Good info,
Question :- does it have mcs to achieve 37.9p under 5kw.
do you have any performance figures on installed systems.
Typical install time trade purchase price expected retail pm that info of course.
Thanks
wiggly

I will PM you refference prices included expected retail, reference MCS as it is in transition it is still eligible for full feed in tariff, if you like I could call you tomorrow to go through it all in a bit more detail, PM me your details.

I shall have to check with MCS but my understanding was that all transitional arrangements for turbines were closed last June since when only fully accredited products were eligible for FiTs. C&F asked for an extension to their transitional period and were refused.

Reply to Wind Turbines in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock