Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Wire strippers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. AP Electrical

AP Electrical Guest

Just out of intrest who use's what wire strippers? seen alsorts about but I've stuck to my old plier type wire strippers, anyone use the automatic ones and are they any good?

2. Adam W

Adam W Electrician's Arms

I use cable shears, like these:
    BHJ1307A.JPG
    Can't be doing with carting around a load of gimmicky tools.

BHJ1307A.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  3. AP Electrical

AP Electrical Guest

Thought they were for removing nails from horses hoofs.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Adam W

Adam W Electrician's Arms

They do allsorts. You can flick the handles round and use them to open boxes.
    You can't use them on steel or live wires though, unless you want to break them.

5. ebow72

ebow72 Electrician's Arms

• Like Like x 1
  6. Southern Spark

Southern Spark Guest

Im with novus, you simply cant beat the shears. That is all you need, whether you are stripping alarm cable or cutting 25mm tails... just got to learn that no matter how many times I try they just cant cut 3.5mm screws!!!

7. MarkieSparkie

MarkieSparkie Guest

I was sent a free pair by Draper to evaluate. I didn't like them and ended up giving them to an apprentice.
    The draw back to the design is the position of the stripping notches at the very point I normally cut with my CK combi-cutters, if there were other advantages I could have changed my technique, but they flattered to deceive.
    The angled head design didn't seem to be more comfortable in use and the cutter blades where less robust, hard or sharp compared to my trusty CK.
    The wire loop capstan however is a nice touch and works well.
    The bootlace ferrule crimper works on small flex sizes, but is really a gimmick because it's obviously not as good as a ratchet crimp tool. For the one off OK, any more and I was reaching for the ratchet which is faster and consistent.
    The accessory screw cutters work OK, but required more leverage than my CK.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2011
  8. johnboy6083

johnboy6083 Band Member Trusted Advisor

ive got a set of wire strippers which i use for panel work, as some companies (national grid and YEDL sites) ive worked for wont let you use shears on panel work.
    the shears are the best, and they are just as good at small sizes as they are at bigger ones. i would never again use side cutters, and havent since college.

9. joshjoynes1988

joshjoynes1988 Guest

10. Ponty Massive

Ponty Massive Guest

11. Guest123

Guest123 Guest

I have a pair of these in the bottom of the bag somewhere........

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. pennywise

pennywise Trusted Advisor

Got the same ones great for singles and flex, though I started off with the CK ones but found the handles too hard so bought a version that had them rubberised.

13. mayfair

mayfair Electrician's Arms

Did they come with a packet of sticky plasters for when you get ya hand caught in them botttom bits.

• Like Like x 1
  14. pennywise

pennywise Trusted Advisor

Been there done that got the bloody!! T shirt :nonod:

15. robskiing

robskiing Electrician's Arms

Does any one know where i can obtain a pair of flex strippers for taking the outer sheath off any size flex