Discuss Wiring 1-10v dimmers in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rwright1000

Hi all,

I'm currently wiring 1-10v analouge dimmer switches to control 3 banks of fluorescents. Seems straight forward enough although i wanted to know what is the best cable to wire the dimming control cores in. I want to run it in large trunking and conduit with the mains cables which im told is ok but needs to be shielded. Are we talking 2-core shielded cable about 0.5mm? If so where can i buy this or is there an alternative. Any advice would be great

Thanks Guys!

Run it in a bit of Twin and earth or a bit of 2 core flex.

All you need for Band II circuits that are run in the same containment as Band I circuits are for the Band II be insulated for the highest voltage present. The double sheath will also afford you good separation

Reg 528.1 (i)

Ok, yeh Im happy with making sure the insulation meets correct voltage demands but suprised I don't need to shield it. If it won't create any interference then great, it will be easier for me and probably cheaper just running some 2 core flex. Hopefully that is the case.

If your voltages are really only 1-10 V then induced voltages from the parrellel systems will be a problem. I would use FP 200 as its screened and rated at the 230 V so can be run in parrellel. Thats unless you wana push the boat out and use MICC :)

Thanks for the responses.

Without compromising the quality I would like to avoid spending more on the FP. Thought about using the 2 core flex but run a different route on some existing tray which is big enough to leave a suitable gap. The only point where the cables are near will be in the back of the dimmer box and entry to the light fitting. I'm think that will avoid any problems with the inteference.

Reply to Wiring 1-10v dimmers in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock