Discuss wiring a digital LED display to a project in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mollydog

It's not car related but is a 12vdc porject, so hope someone can be of help to me on this project

I’m a bit of an amateur photographer when it comes to time-lapse photography and this past summer I’ve been doing some time lapse with my SJ4000, to do this.

up to now I’ve been using a small tripod and this timer:

wiring a digital LED display to a project {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

to give me these kind of results:

https://youtu.be/uve5d4nBmyw

https://youtu.be/ryp4y8QgJdU

(can’t help the music, youtube takes out anything copyright)

I’ve now got the bug and want to use my DSLR and to add more movement to the time-lapse photography I’ve bought myself this slider rail:

to make the most of these sliders a motor is very desirable, I didn’t buy one that had a motor pre fitted as these tend to be out of my budget costing well over £300

and reading on the net that adding a motor to one of these sliders can be done and cost can be kept to around £50

from the many videos and tutorials on the net, I’ve managed to get a list of the parts I need and the wiring diagram, so I’m fine (I think) on that score, this is the diagram of my wiring and main parts:

but I would like to add a LED readout when I use the motor speed regulator, so I can repeat the speed settings of the motor, something like this LED readout

here is where I’m lost, I don’t know which one to get or where to wire it in (if this can be done)

to give you some idea how it will all end up, here are some photos from the net

in this photo the power pack isn’t shown but gives an idea of the package

eventually I’ll incorporate these micro switches at the ends to cut off power to the motor so I don’t have to keep an eye on the slider all the time

main spec of the electrical parts if it helps are:

MOTOR:

12V DC
Amp draw: 200 - 600mA
30RPM

Diameter: 37mm

Length (excluding shaft): 49mm

Shaft length: 21mm

Total length: 70mm

Shaft diameter: 6mm

Weight: 144g

MOTOR SPEED REGULATOR

Input supply voltage: 6V-30VDC(max)
PWM frequency: 16kHz; Duty Cycle adjustable: 0%-100%
Item size: 2.9*1.85*1.1 inches ; Net weight: 2.54 ounces
The maximum output power: 200W; Power-On LED indicator;
The maximum continuous output current :6A; Peak current is 10A

Features:

CCM6N DC Motor Speed Regulator controls the speed of a DC motor by adjusting Pulse-Width-Modulated (PWM).
Control the forward or reverse direction and the stop of DC motor by switch.
Incorporate a high power MOSFET and a high quality potentiometer.
Adjustable speed range is 0%-100% (both Positive and Negative DC output).
Suitable for the DC motor (or DC load) within 6A.

POWER PACK

Talentcell Rechargeable 6000mAh Li-Ion Battery Pack For LED Strip And CCTV Camera,12V DC Portable Lithium Ion Battery Bank

12V DC.
6000 mAh High Capacity, 12.6V 1A Charger.
Compatible with any LED strip light products,CCTV Camera,LED Panel.
Rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery.
Wall plug charger and cable are included.

any help on what LED readout and how/where to wire it in will be most welcome

many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
hi,
1. led display will need to have a controller of some sort.
motor is PWM driven, means a simple volt-meter wont pick up the voltage correctly.
it wont work directly with your current setup.
2. those micro-switches may not be able to handle current taken by the motor...
3. you may get an arduino/PIC type device, hook it up to the the microswitches, motor and display and let it control whole lot.
its around £30 in parts if you can do it yourself... needs a bit of soldering and some programming to make it do what you need.
not sure if there is an off the shelf solution for that, never seen one.

you can pm me if you get stuck, can make some one-off project if required...

Last edited:
Thank you amlu, doing some research on the net, I also came to the same completion that using an arduino is the best way as then the motor can be programmed and also get the motor to stop, get the camera to take a long exposure (like those night shots of the stars) then have the motor move a set distance before getting the camera to take another exposure (I've not yet bought any parts for making the motor and controller , so can go the Arundio route)

on one of the links, it mentions to use "Arudino Uno, for best results pick Rev.3"

I will send you a privat message later, (I'd be cery surprised if there was an off the shelf solution for this)but have seen the parts needed , just my electronics limitation stops me :)

here are a few links that explains, what others have done, using Arduino

this first link looks very informative, some links do show how to build a slider, but as I've got that diregard all of that, just the Arduino, on the first link it also shows the code needed to make the Arduino to work with the slider

many thanks

Motion Control With Arduino: Motorising a Camera Slider - Envato Tuts+ Computer Skills Tutorial

http://www.buildlog.net/blog/2013/10/camera-slider-controller-shield/

http://clickglide.com/?p=822

OpenMoco based timelapse dolly - first prototype | Elysia Productions - Andre Crone

DIY motorized camera slider « ClickGlide

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to wiring a digital LED display to a project in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock