Discuss Wiring a lamp - advice please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for the great feedback guys.

Just to clarify. I'm rewiring so that I don't need to splice inside the lamp.

The lamp fitting has an earth connection. The lamp fitting is plastic. Do we think I'm best also running an earth crimp/lug to the pipework or will the earth in the lampholder suffice?

What if I was to use a metal lampholder?

I'm also planning on making ones with multiple bulps wired parallel. Will Wago connectors do the job ok?

I think that just about covers it...for now

Thank you, you've all been so helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earthing the lamp holder or threaded part of the lamp holder like you have will earth the pipework assuming it mates to the correct thread so no need to fit another earth.

Heatproof cable is just that really. As @westward10 said if the lampholder is screwed to the metal work then maybe a lug is not needed. However currently you are not using a metal lampholder thus the idea of running an earth from the lampholder to the body of the lamp. And as stated earlier, you may find difficulty in matching threads from lampholder to pipe. While I like the crimps @Strima shows, it is a principle the more connections the more potential faults. Hence the suggestion to replace the cable get a brass lampholder with switch, heatproof cable,

Just for possible future reference, would I just run an earth wire from the earth terminal of the lamp holder to a crimp lug on the body? If I was to do something that way.

Reply to Wiring a lamp - advice please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net