Discuss Wiring a new 2 gang socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Roboticfrog

Hi

I'm trying to wire a new 2 gang socket in to replace my old 1 gang socket. I have bought an external plastic pattress box to attach the new socket to. I will screw this pattress box to the wall, over the existing single socket metal back box that is embedded in the wall. The existing wiring is relatively old. It only has one earth cable. My new 2 gang socket has 2 earth ports. Also, my new external pattress box has a port for an earth cable. Where should I be attaching my earth cable to? Do I need to alter the wiring?

Thanks for any help you can give

Can you send a picture of the existing socket, showing the cable please?

My gut feeling is it is a spur and will have only one earth connection. The second earth connection on the socket is used in other situations.

on the single socket has it one cable .if yes then put the earth tail on one of the earth terminals only.on the new socket front. pic would be nice to help you .

Thanks for your replies. I have attached pictures of the old socket wiring, the new socket and the pattress box. Hopefully these are helpful.
Wiring a new 2 gang socket IMG_20170330_221002 - EletriciansForums.net Wiring a new 2 gang socket IMG_20170330_221016 - EletriciansForums.net Wiring a new 2 gang socket IMG_20170330_221425 - EletriciansForums.net Wiring a new 2 gang socket IMG_20170330_221446 - EletriciansForums.net

Yes, there are 2 inside the sleeve

Just terminate the earth into one of the earth connections on the back of the new socket

take out all tails from old socket and to new socket , has for the earths twist them to
gather so you will not lose any of earth tails .

So should I just connect the earth cable to one of the earth ports on the new socket? And leave the other port empty? And I also don't need to worry about connecting the earth port on the pattress box to anything?

So should I just connect the earth cable to one of the earth ports on the new socket? And leave the other port empty? And I also don't need to worry about connecting the earth port on the pattress box to anything?

Yes and yes.

So should I just connect the earth cable to one of the earth ports on the new socket? And leave the other port empty?

It would be wise to loop a earth from there to the existing metal box which is recessed in your wall

It would be a requirement to do this.

So should I just connect the earth cable to one of the earth ports on the new socket? And leave the other port empty?

It would be wise to loop a earth from there to the existing metal box which is recessed in your wall

So, just to confirm, I should wire the new socket in as normal using just one of the earth ports for the existing earth cable. Then I should run a separate cable from the other earth port on the new socket back to the metal back box? And I can definitely ignore the earth port on the new plastic pattress box?

Thanks

Correct. The earth terminal on the plastic Pattress only serves to secure the CPC (earth wires) and join them. The plastic box needs no earth.
So just treat the plastic box as a spacer.

my question is "are the existing cables long enough to connect to the new socket?".

Wago connectors in the original back box to extend new cables to the new face plate if needed.

Wago connectors in the original back box to extend new cables to the new face plate if needed.
that's how i'd do it.

So, just to confirm, I should wire the new socket in as normal using just one of the earth ports for the existing earth cable. Then I should run a separate cable from the other earth port on the new socket back to the metal back box? And I can definitely ignore the earth port on the new plastic pattress box?

Thanks
Correct.

Does it not have a small terminal on it.

Reply to Wiring a new 2 gang socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock