Discuss Wiring a new 2 gang socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

personally, i'd not bother earthing the back box. it's enclosed and untouchable.

Be touchable when someone knocks the new plastic surface box off the wall.

Well you could use one of the old face plate fixing points with a small eyelet crimp.

I'd agree....why not pay an electrician to come in and do a proper job, ensuring you and your family are not put at risk?

Because I'd rather not be charged ÂŁ50 to have 3 wires connected for me. Now that it has been explained to me it seems very simple.

Because I'd rather not be charged ÂŁ50 to have 3 wires connected for me. Now that it has been explained to me it seems very simple.

So is connecting a gas fire....difference is you'll smell the gas before something goes wrong. Looking at the picture the installation is probably over 25 years old.

I guess each to their own, just make sure you isolate safely and pull test the conductors once connected. You would not believe the number of times I've taken a DIY socket of the wall and a conductor falls or has fallen out, meaning the installation may have been a fire hazard since installation. There's a lot more to it than just connecting of 3 wires.

The pattress you have looks like a deep 45mm, usually used for cooker/shower switches. You could use a shallower 25mm for a socket which would look neater on the wall.
Although id agree with the above, not being a straightforward swap id get a pro to come and sort it for you.

Reply to Wiring a new 2 gang socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, in my bedroom i had a 2 gang dimmer that powered 2 set of 3 spot lights and also had passthrough wires to other sockets. Im changing to just...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I am looking for some advice re: putting new sockets and usb sockets in my home. Someone will be rewiring the entire house but I have...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, Following on from my previous post where I received advice on taking a spur off a 40a feed (thank you). I performed the work...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am looking to install a Quinetic double gang in line receiver switch (QURS2W) in my hallway on the ground floor to control the lights...
Replies
Views
Looking for a metal pattress with screw fittings in the correct place for this old MK 2 gang socket. The existing pattress of the socket that I...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock