Discuss Wiring a pull cord switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Amy90

Hi,

My friend broke my bathroom pull cord switch and whilst fixing it, some of the wiring came out. I can't remember which way they go in.

I have a yellow wire, 2 reds and a pinkish red wire. I have a black box into which the wires fit labelled L1, L2 and comm.

I'd be very grateful for any advice, as I'm a young female with no electrical experience and cannot afford to call an electrician!

Amy

Eeek. Is it the pull switch for the shower? Can you post a couple of photos so we can see the carnage?

and post your location. any member close to you would fix it for a nominal charge.

Eeek. Is it the pull switch for the shower? Can you post a couple of photos so we can see the carnage?

Come on Marv.... L1 L2 and Common ....light pull cord in my books. ;)

@Amy ... We can only guess the correct wires but tbh they would need testing to find out the correct use ....Its more likely you have 3 reds and a yellow wire... if the yellow wire has any green on it then I suggest its the earth.

As for the 3 reds .... 2 will be common at a guess and 1 will be L1 leaving L2 empty, to identify which red is which would require testing unfortunately so afraid you need to get someone in that may do a reduced local call out.

Note ... my post is guess work don't use it as a connection method as these are dangerous voltages you should have it checked first and tested.

Ring a local firm ask if they do a local reduced call-out for a hard up young attractive female student or seek help on here if you give your area ;)

sorry, amy. impossible to tell without being there.

Are you going to post your location? Not full address obviously!

Liverpool, UK

Post a new thread in the main forum.

Explain you need an Electrician to simply connect up a pull cord and wonder if their is a willing offer of a reduced rate for quick simple job for a cash strapped student....see who replies ;)

Add you are a young female and increase the response but be careful there are a few vultures in their :grin:

No need, I just fixed it! guessed which red was which from how it was twisted into position from before :stooge_curly:

Thanks for your help!

... just fixed it! guessed which red was which from how it was twisted into position from before :stooge_curly:

There you go, all you wise ars*d electricians needing to be there on the ground testing wires and checking switching arrangement when all it took was the female equivalent of a hairy ars*d plumber to look at the problem apply a bit of imagination and commonsense -- presto the lights work!!

just so long as a cpc has not been connected into the switch........

She was lucky tbh I can't tell which wires were twisted together ..guess all the red were and the yellow was switch but not going to say its so without been certain...

Plus the earths are all sleeved in brown ...she had ignorance as an advantages as the colour coding was all wrong lol

Reply to Wiring a pull cord switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net