Discuss Wiring A Small Commercial Kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Suggestions on best way of wiring a little commercial kitchen as there is no way chases can be done as walls are rock hard,I was thinking about running 4x2 plastic trunking around the perimeter at top of walls and dropping down to points in 20mm plastic conduit,any other ideas would be mostly appreciated,Thanks

I wouldn't go with plastic , depending how hot it gets in there for one thing the stuff could end up warping. Lee's idea is probably the best bet.

Are there any regs stating it has to be galvanised and not plastic,I see the reason saying plastic could warp but I don't think it will get that hot in the kitchen as its only having 1 range cooker and the ceilings are fairly high

I know where you are coming from,its just that they have a small budget and I was thinking of the cheapest method,it may be cheaper for them for me to run cables in ceiling and do drops in galvanised get them to replaster the ceiling,but I would then have to use metal switches or could I use white moulded

I know where you are coming from,its just that they have a small budget and I was thinking of the cheapest method,it may be cheaper for them for me to run cables in ceiling and do drops in galvanised get them to replaster the ceiling,but I would then have to use metal switches or could I use white moulded

you can use what you want but would be a little odd to use galv conduit and pvc boxes/white moulded sockets IMO.

They may have a small budget and you want to do the cheapest method but if all the plastic conduit starts to warp and looks the pits who is going to pay for it to be made good. You need to tell them the pro's and con's before you give a price.

It might be worth checking with your local environmental health officer - the client probably won't want to be paying for work only to get a poor food hygiene rating because of it.
My guess would be that they would prefer everything to be stainless steel.

If you're happy that PVC is suitable for the environmental factors involved ie heat, grease, cleaning chemicals etc then give them a quote for both PVC and for galv/stainless, state clearly the pros and cons of each and let the customer decide.

Some good points mentioned above. I'd certainly tell them the pros and cons of the different methods and if they do decide on plastic then I'd make it clear in your quote, the limitations of the pvc and the risks of it warping etc. I'd also suggest noting in your quote that if that was to happen then you wouldn't be held responsible, especially if you have suggested you stainless steel/galv trunking.

I always give my honest opinion with customers and if they choose to go against my suggestions and things go wrong then unfortunately that's how it is, I just try to cover myself in writing.

Yep by all means cover yourself by getting the customer to sign the pros and cons. It's a fine line, if you under spec the job you're likely to get come-backs and payment problems but if you over-spec the job you'll probably lose it to someone else on price. S/Steel is hellish expensive so you might look at other material options for trunking and conduit such as nylon or other thermoplastic blends.

Galv would be best, PVC is more acceptable for costs and installation, pvc trunking should be kicked out of the equation.

You have a plastered ceiling. Run metal trunking along the top and drop down to each point in galv. The mental trunking will provide accessibility for all the changes that a commercial kitchen needs in the next 10-20 years.

Suggestions on best way of wiring a little commercial kitchen as there is no way chases can be done as walls are rock hard,I was thinking about running 4x2 plastic trunking around the perimeter at top of walls and dropping down to points in 20mm plastic conduit,any other ideas would be mostly appreciated,Thanks
I wouldn't consider plastic/PVC conduit and trunking a suitable cable management system for a commercial kitchen are, no matter how large or small, I would go with Galvanised trunking and tube, a far better method.

I wouldn't consider plastic/PVC conduit and trunking a suitable cable management system for a commercial kitchen are, no matter how large or small, I would go with Galvanised trunking and tube, a far better method.
Totally agree PVC deteriorates with airbourne oil particles, discolours and looks dirty after a period of time.

From your reply it sounds as if your client has already had Plastic or PVC in mind, price the job with Galv cable management, explain why it should be done this way, also PVC is not a very future proof method, prone to warping, discoloring etc, if he rejects this method then as a professional your only option imo, is to walk away.

I agree with the anti pvc brigade.
It looks grotty , lids go missing , then the cables get covered in grease and steam compound the problems.
It is hard to clean, usually snaps if additions are attempted, and the next person on the job is told that you have done it.
Do you really want a customer like this?

Reply to Wiring A Small Commercial Kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net