Discuss Wiring Codes in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone, relatively new to the electrical world, got myself qualified full scope last year. Mainly deal with kitchens/bathrooms, nothing big.

BIT STUCK IF ANYONE CAN HELP. AM DOING A NAPIT INSTALLATION CERTIFICATE FOR SOME WORK I HAVE COMPLETED.

I CANT FIND ANYWHERE OR REMEMBER WHERE THE "TYPE OF WIRING" CODES ARE IN THE 17TH EDITION. I can remember it is code 1 for 70 degree T & E, just I am dealing with armoured cable, obviously a different code, want to make sure I get it right. I need to put a code in on the test schedule sheet.

I have most pages referenced in a little book, if anyone can help with my little problem would be well appreciated.

Have been on this site a few times, some interesting stuff on here, some out of my league, but was wondering if anyone had an idiots quick reference guide to the 17th edition? Could be helpful to a lot of us?

Cheers,

Paul, Alljobs

The "type of wiring" codes are made up by the scheme and have no relation to BS7671. The installation reference methods are from BS7671 and are in Appendix 4 methods of installation.
For Napit if you are using their forms then there is a key on the form telling you the code.
If code 1 is T&E then they are as in this form
View attachment NAPIT test sheet sample.pdf
They also use these codes
View attachment NAPIT test continuation sample.pdf
and the NICEIC use these codes
View attachment NICEIC wiring type codes.doc

Hi, thanks for reply, has helped. My forms have no key on any of the forms which I purchased from Napit, I had no problem with reference methods (Appendix 4) just the "type of wiring". Going by the codes on your sheet my number 1 was incorrect for T & E, so I have amended paperwork. That number 1 was the code I was taught at Napit when I did my course. Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I am just trying to do things properly, ensuring paperwork is correct!

types of wiring:

A. pvc/pvc. B. pvc in metallic conduit. C. pvc in non-metallic conduit. D. pvc in metallic trunking. E. pvc in non-metallic trunking. F. pvc/SWA. G. XLPE/SWA. H. Mineral Insulated Cables.

Hi, thanks for reply, has helped. My forms have no key on any of the forms which I purchased from Napit, I had no problem with reference methods (Appendix 4) just the "type of wiring". Going by the codes on your sheet my number 1 was incorrect for T & E, so I have amended paperwork. That number 1 was the code I was taught at Napit when I did my course. Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I am just trying to do things properly, ensuring paperwork is correct!

Go to the Napit Desktop Site and download the trial pack of the Software - when it expires you can still use the EIC, MW and EICR and you can notify your work from there as well - saves logging onto the web each time

There is a floor at present with the software that allows you to use the above packs after its expired

Reply to Wiring Codes in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net