Discuss Wiring cordless drill to a rocker switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

ebber

Hi,

I am trying to figure what which wires go where on the 4 pole rocker switch. I am using a cordless drill that I have pulled the wires through the bottom and will be used to turn the chute on my snowblower, so the switch will need to put the drill in forward if I push up or backwards if I push down. I know I need to somehow do the reverse polarity or something like that so it will move in both directions, just now sure how. And then obviously I will need to run the power to the batter and also ground.

Any thoughts? I think that I added a pic of the switch

Thanks

Attachments

• Swicth1.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 31
Welcome to the forum ebber :)

I have approved your thread for the general forum for a speedier response although you may be given DIY access and thread relocated when admin' is next online, this will not effect any existing posts made.

Regarding your query, I am finding difficulty following what you are attemting to do, its clear you have an idea in your mind of what you want to do but its not translating well when you explain it (this may just be me).. can you draft a drawing or similar to show your intentions here?

darkwood nothing to with this topic but how do I get access to the diy and alarm sections please

You need to be currently working in the alarms or CCTV sector.

you wanna run this off a cordless drill?

industrial-snow-blower-for-hire-527x350.jpg

here is a link, better to see for yourself I guess. I am setting this up for my snowblower but not sure where the wires go on this rocker switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVF6pQGuUxE

I really don't think we can advise on adapting machinery and tools to modify equipment beyond their manufactured design, I would suggest you contact the Youtube original poster and ask for further details if you have committed to the task in hand but understand that the safety and any associated risks lie squarely on your shoulders, you tube is full of shed mechanics adapting all types of equipment but in reality most should carry a 'Do not try at home' label as they are more for entertainment value than practical use.

The shown video would be unlikely to pass safety standards were it copied and made, the chute has moving parts and little in guarding, the drill is not IP rated for the conditions it would be subject to .... to name a few.

Last edited:
Assuming that switch is rated for the motor current and the motor is OK with being connected straight across the battery w/o speed controller, then:

Connect the battery to to two terminals that lie parallel in the middle of the switch. Connect the motor to the two slightly angled ones at the end by your finger. Incorporate a fuse in the battery leads so that if the switch shorts between poles (a popular failure mode of reversing switches) it won't melt / explode.

Last edited:
ok thanks Lucien, I dont know if the motor will be ok with connecting without the speed controller :) I guess I will connect them and see :)

Cordless tool motors can take a very high peak current when stalled / starting. Normally the trigger control softens the start but here the switch will get the full whack.

BTW of course you can connect the motor to the middle terminals and the supply to the end, it's a DPDT switch with opposite poles strapped at the two ends by those diagonal links so it is symmetrical. Without the centre-off position it would be what we call in UK wiring terminology an 'intermediate' switch that is used for the middle points of 3- or more way light switching.

I really don't think we can advise on adapting machinery and tools to modify equipment beyond their manufactured design, I would suggest you contact the Youtube original poster and ask for further details if you have committed to the task in hand but understand that the safety and any associated risks lie squarely on your shoulders, you tube is full of shed mechanics adapting all types of equipment but in reality most should carry a 'Do not try at home' label as they are more for entertainment value than practical use.

The shown video would be unlikely to pass safety standards were it copied and made, the chute has moving parts and little in guarding, the drill is not IP rated for the conditions it would be subject to .... to name a few.

...Aaawww... does that mean my cordless drill powered spiral centrifuge ball-bearing gun,is a no-no for Dragons' Den? :dizzy2:

...Aaawww... does that mean my cordless drill powered spiral centrifuge ball-bearing gun,is a no-no for Dragons' Den? :dizzy2:

Ermmm .. the EU product safety laws would be the first hurdle to jump :wink5:, although the OP hopefully doesn't intend to sell it.

Last edited:

Reply to Wiring cordless drill to a rocker switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net