Discuss Wiring Diagram in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BettyBoop44

Hi

I am wanting to do some re-wiring in my Barn / Workshop , I wanted to do a design myself to show who ever is going to do the work , a lot of it is to re-do and upgrade sizes of old Red n Black cable with the same route that is there .

Could anyone on here have a look at my design / Plan and comment on it pls .

ps: I have done this with Excel , but can not attach a Excel file ! , could email to anyone ! .
cheers

Anne.W

screen shot 03.10.16 rev 1 to put on forum.jpg

couple of points. first, try and do away with junction boxes if possible. second, where you have multiple lights in a room, it may be easier to loop at the switches and just take sw/l. N, E to the lights. and 1.0mm should be more than adequate for the lighting circuits.also, a 20A MCB might be a better choice for the socket radials. if i've missed anything obvious, it's because these eyes are a month short of 70 and a couple of beers have been semi digested. :(

I am not sure what sort of comments you you are looking for, but at first glance if there is new work and rewiring work it would be useful to know which is which.
It looks like you have a lot of junction boxes about which is not ideal.
Your cable size of 1.5mm² for lighting hardly seems necessary for that number of lights unless they are high bay lighting.
Why do you want cable loops for some of the lights?
Why are the 16A socket radials run in 4mm² to start with?

Overall it gives an idea of what is needed as a whole in terms of where and what sizes of cable you want, but not much about how the cables are to be run.

Your place looks enormous!
I'd be thinking of doubling the number of socket outlets you've got and will your lighting be sufficient?

Your place looks enormous!
I'd be thinking of doubling the number of socket outlets you've got and will your lighting be sufficient?

Hi
Thanks for your reply , there is 3 x 8ft flourecents in the main area and it is ok , there is some clear poly roof sheets along the roof run as well , I don't think I need any more sockets ! .

You would be better working in conjunction with your electrician to design this imho. 8Ft Flourescent tubes are a PITA to get hold of these days, not many (if any) wholesalers stock or source them.

I am not sure what sort of comments you you are looking for, but at first glance if there is new work and rewiring work it would be useful to know which is which.
It looks like you have a lot of junction boxes about which is not ideal.
Your cable size of 1.5mm² for lighting hardly seems necessary for that number of lights unless they are high bay lighting.
Why do you want cable loops for some of the lights?
Why are the 16A socket radials run in 4mm² to start with?

Overall it gives an idea of what is needed as a whole in terms of where and what sizes of cable you want, but not much about how the cables are to be run.

Hi
Thanks for your reply , I am not really putting the loops in , it was just to show me what I was doing in the drawing , I will just need a switched live to the beginning of the light run (will take the loops out ) .

Basically all the old wiring is going to be ripped out ( so take it as far as the drawing is concerned ALL the wiring is being renewed ) .

Yes, probably the 4.0 mm2 runs can be taken out for 2.5 mm2 , the 1.5 mm2 for the lighting circuit , I just feel that 1.0 mm2 has no body to it , it just looks to small , it is just me ! .

The junction boxes , yes I will see if I can reduce them .

If you are upgrading then replacing the 8ft fluorescents might be an idea as the lamps are starting to have limited availability.

You would be better working in conjunction with your electrician to design this imho. 8Ft Flourescent tubes are a PITA to get hold of these days, not many (if any) wholesalers stock or source them.

Thanks for your reply , yes the tubes have been in there for quite awhile , though they don't get used much , they are in a IP65 casing , were quite expensive I believe then , I got them for free though ! .

My passion is working with Excel , Technical Drawing , so I prefer to do it myself then let the experts go through it when I am happy with the final drawing ! .

As all the above ^^^
Another thing to consider is turning the radial socket circuits into ring circuits. Although radials might be perfectly adequate, sometimes making them into ring circuits can be just as simple. The benifits being that you can increase the load and number of sockets per circuit.

Thanks for your reply , yes the tubes have been in there for quite awhile , though they don't get used much , they are in a IP65 casing , were quite expensive I believe then , I got them for free though ! .

My passion is working with Excel , Technical Drawing , so I prefer to do it myself then let the experts go through it when I am happy with the final drawing ! .
I'm not surprised you got the flourscents for free, 8' are rare these days. Though yes those ip65 ones were expensive when new! If you don't need that sort of ip rating and you can afford to, I'd recommend you not to bother installing them and get some low energy modern fittings instead.

As all the above ^^^
Another thing to consider is turning the radial socket circuits into ring circuits. Although radials might be perfectly adequate, sometimes making them into ring circuits can be just as simple. The benifits being that you can increase the load and number of sockets per circuit.

Hi

Thanks for your reply , it is quite a run , I thought it would cost a bit more to bring the cable's back to the cu , but it is a thought .

thanks again for your suggestions .

I'm not surprised you got the flourscents for free, 8' are rare these days. Though yes those ip65 ones were expensive when new! If you don't need that sort of ip rating and you can afford to, I'd recommend you not to bother installing them and get some low energy modern fittings instead.
Hi

Thanks for your reply , the tubes are already fitted , been there a couple of years , will use them until they blow then will change to another type , trying to keep the cost down as much as I can at the mo .

Hi

Thanks for your reply , it is quite a run , I thought it would cost a bit more to bring the cable's back to the cu , but it is a thought .

thanks again for your suggestions .
You can put multiple ring circuits in to reduce the runs depending on how you want to configure the sockets. But like I said it's just a consideration, which depends on the best and most economically way suitable for the job.

You can put multiple ring circuits in to reduce the runs depending on how you want to configure the sockets. But like I said it's just a consideration, which depends on the best and most economically way suitable for the job.

Yes I could do that , originally when I put in the drawing the 4 mm2 from the cu through the walls into the main area on both sides I was thinking then to loop the 2.5 mm2 back to the 45A junction boxes ! .

i'd convert the sockets in the large bottom half to a 32A ring.just a bit of extra cable from the left hand across the double doors to the socket on the bottom wall, and a bit of redesign to the socket wiring close to the CU. i'd also consider combining those 2 small CUs into 1 larger one (unless you want to split across 2 phases).

i'd convert the sockets in the large bottom half to a 32A ring.just a bit of extra cable from the left hand across the double doors to the socket on the bottom wall, and a bit of redesign to the socket wiring close to the CU. i'd also consider combining those 2 small CUs into 1 larger one (unless you want to split across 2 phases).

Hi thanks a lot for your reply , yes I am using 2 of the 3 Phases , the other Phase is for our house , yes I was thinking to put a 4mm2 through the wall to the left side and run a ring to and from that ( I did have a 4mm2 in my first drawing to be able to do that ,and one for the right side ) but was put of by suggestions has to why I had a 4mm2 coming from the cu to a 45A junction box ) will have a look at that idea again ! .

Reply to Wiring Diagram in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net