Discuss wiring student flats in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gaz26

Hi everone. just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of wiring student flats. About to start one with lounge ,bed rm1 and kitchen and wc on grd flr, bed rm 2 and bed rm 3 on 1st flr and bed rm3 and bed rm 4 on 2nd flr. I'm putting emergency lighting in stairwell , halls and by exits and was planning on doing 3 ring mains,1 for the kitchen, 1 for the grd floor and hall and 1 for the 1st and 2nd flrs. Maximum sockets on each ring would be 13.Does this sound ok , was thinking maybe putting each floor on its own ring main but it would only be 6 sockets as there's 3 in each bedroom . Any thoughts guys?

yeah sorted out smokes, also landing lights need to be switched on at 4 different places , am i right in thinking 2 way at one end , intermediate next , then another intermediate switch and then a 2 way at the last position? Only ever done it at 3 postions, never put 2 intermediate switches in series

yeah sorted out smokes, also landing lights need to be switched on at 4 different places , am i right in thinking 2 way at one end , intermediate next , then another intermediate switch and then a 2 way at the last position? Only ever done it at 3 postions, never put 2 intermediate switches in series

Would it not be more effective to use PIRs?

If wiring 1st n 2nd floor on 1 ring is ok then i think i'll go with that as i prefer ring final circuits to radials.Many thanks

free pot noodle with every install .. are you doing lan wire up as well ?? rj45 sockets in each bedroom or do most students have wireless now ??.. radial rooms,pir or 2 way with int (could put timer on hall ),kitchen loads of sockets for microwaves & fridges thay all love day old pizza and pot noodles .. fire alarms linked with anti tamper ?? are credit meters being installed for each floor ?? or just one single meter to feed all floors shared bill .. i have seen 2 meters installed for student house for each floor ..

Hi, I second your idea Tom. I would definatly look at using pirs where possible.

Having spent 8 months in my girlfriend's student house PIRs would be a good idea because the lights in shared spaces are left on 24/7, BUT it might be worth putting in a switch(es) to have the lights permanently on. Most of the young females were afraid of the dark and wanted the lights permanently on.:confused: Dusk-til-dawn lighting could get around that I suppose.

Decent extractor fans in the bathroom/kitchen. 1hr+ showers seem to be normal.

As confused-fuse said, most students do have wireless but it's always handy to have rj45 sockets, especially playing Xbox/PS3s online.

Another option should he refuse the extra cost aof wiring additional PIR's for the control of the staircase lighting.......

Time Lag switches,

EK400A.JPG

we do a lot of work in student flats. i would recommend you put as many sockets as you can in each room. they always seem to have 2 or 3 trailing sockets full of stuff.
i would also recommend a humidity fan for the bath room.
get the pir replacements for the lights, the push in type tend to stick and you are forever having to fix/replace them.
leave the instructions for the smokes where they can find them we have to replace 3 or 4 a year that have been knocked off the ceiling with a brush.

don't forget emergency lighing as well forgot to write that one down .. just been asked to fit some for a bedsit Opps ( student appartment ) and keyfob entry system

when i asked why he wants emergancy lighting fitted within 7day he said its for the insurance for property
with out he can not get dwelling insured ...

is there is a regulation to say each room/flat needs to be on its own circuit ? at the moment i have 3 flats/rooms on each ring main. Purely to save not having to install a big board as the ring mains alone would have 7 mcb's. Bloody HMO regulations are a nightmare.lol

only thing id ensure is when using PIR's is if the light fitting are flourescent that you use high frequency not switch start or you'll be replacing lamps at a high rate

I have done loads of these. If you want detailed info then PM me and i will give you my mobile number and we can speak as i would be hear all day typing.

With regard to community lighting i use occupancy detectors instead of switches, no 2 way to wire up just loop to sensor and switch cable from sensor to fitting. Doddle, just site your detectors with care so they catch both landings.

Cheers.........Howard;)

Reply to wiring student flats in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net