Discuss Wiring through apartments in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MFElec

I am just starting a new project with consists of multiple new apartments being put in place within a large single existing building. Due to the layout of the multiple storey building and the fact the apartments are already laid out and in situe there is only one mains riser capable of being put in place. Unfortunately there are 3 entrance points to the seperate apartments ie 3 small entrance corridors via seperate external doorways which allow entrance to a percentage of the apartments.
Ideally I would obviously like to put three mains risers in the building, but as this is physically impossible my question is would I be able to cross one of the apartments on each level in the ceiling void with cable trays and baskets to allow feeds for the other apartments on each floor? I know this is not ideal but I cannot find anything in place for guidance on this issue and I assume it must happen?!

Any help or guidance greatly appreciated!

I don't see why not if there is no other route. Only problem I can see is will the void be the property of the apartment below.

I don't see why not if there is no other route. Only problem I can see is will the void be the property of the apartment below.
Unfortunately it will be. I'm assuming I can have the lads label the tray etc for carrying external feeds which will comply if anyone ever take ceilings down in the apartments?! The apartments are to go on sale individually so any maintenance issues would cause problems (extremely unlikely to ever arise). The containmemt will be carrying swa/xlpe, t&e, fp200 plus cat 6lsf. The cables are simply carried through the apartments uninterrupted so risks are ridiculously low. Unless any idiot decides to drill through steel containment 1250mm above a ceiling im sure all will be fine! I was unsure more of the fact external voltage ie not isolated by the apartments consumer unit was running in the apartment. Are there any regs etc specifically forbidding this you know of?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately it will be. I'm assuming I can have the lads label the tray etc for carrying external feeds which will comply if anyone ever take ceilings down in the apartments?! The apartments are to go on sale individually so any maintenance issues would cause problems (extremely unlikely to ever arise). The containmemt will be carrying swa/xlpe, t&e, fp200 plus cat 6lsf. The cables are simply carried through the apartments uninterrupted so risks are ridiculously low. Unless any idiot decides to drill through steel containment 1250mm above a ceiling im sure all will be fine! I was unsure more of the fact external voltage ie not isolated by the apartments consumer unit was running in the apartment. Are there any regs etc specifically forbidding this you know of?
I don't see any problems and as you say the risks are probably non existant. Anyone isolating the supply to an apartment would be stupid to assume it also isolated the other submain cables.

I don't see any problems and as you say the risks are probably non existant. Anyone isolating the supply to an apartment would be stupid to assume it also isolated the other submain cables.
Very true. Thanks for your views on this! I think the fact that there is no other option aside from running four floors externally on a listed building should be enough really. I just tend to go overkill to make sure I am compliant!

I had a call out, lights have all gone out after upstairs did a load of work. They had cut through incoming live to lights somehow so I had to get a new feed in, also no access to the void as that would involve lifting upstairs floor so did it in conduit.

I wasn't sure where they stood in terms of who owns the void and didn't want to knock and ask either bit of a rough area. We just fixed it and billed the customer, what could he do bit of a grey area unless it's written on the deeds.

Reply to Wiring through apartments in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock