Discuss Wish me luck in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hightower

After 2.5 years since starting in this game, I'm now on my way down to the office to hand my notice in at the school to go full time for my uncle's firm. I've been two days with him for a few months now, and the time seems right for us both to make the change to full time.

That all said though, I've had a stable, well-paying job for the past 14 years or so and it is one of the most nerve racking things I've ever done - things should be fine with my uncle, but it's the element of the unknown that unnerves me, especially with a mortgage and a young family.

Anyway, when I set out on this adventure 2.5 years ago, the end goal was always full-time employment and full qualification - I'm well on my way to the latter, and this step fulfills the first.

Heading down there now, here's to the next step. Be brave HT, be brave....

Last edited by a moderator:
Best wishes.

I was in full time occupation until I was 50 when the bubble burst on the DOT.COM industry. I jumped out of PAYEland and took up sparking as a self-employed sole-trader. Needed to build a reputation and a customer-base.

I've survived for more than 15 years at it, so you'll be fine.

After 2.5 years since starting in this game, I'm now on my way down to the office to hand my notice in at the school to go full time for my uncle's firm. I've been two days with him for a few months now, and the time seems right for us both to make the change to full time.

That all said though, I've had a stable, well-paying job for the past 14 years or so and it is one of the most nerve racking things I've ever done - things should be fine with my uncle, but it's the element of the unknown that unnerves me, especially with a mortgage and a young family.

Anyway, when I set out on this adventure 2.5 years ago, the end goal was always full-time employment and full qualification - I'm well on my way to the latter, and this step fulfills the first.

Heading down there now, here's to the next step. Be brave HT, be brave....
Good luck HT in your new venture

Best wishes for the future, with the changes in schools over the last few years (with more to come) I'm sure you won't regret it.

The "push for exam results" doesn't directly affect me, I'm IT Manager so as long as the computers are working fine they are happy. Thing is, I've been in this game a long time now and have achieved all I can achieve, at least within the school - budget is an issue so we don't get shiny new toys, and instead have to make do with refurbed equipment (which is actually a cost effective and good value way of achieving stuff). But there's no room for progression, at least here, and I'm not one to sit static. I'm now 32, and have been in college since I was 18 - there's always more stuff to learn, more goals to reach - I am just never gonna reach them here. It has served a purpose, but it's time to take the next step, hopefully a step with more progression available.

Judging by how hard working you have been learning this trade - you're going to excel. Don't worry about he finances just keep up the hard work and it'll pay. Ps I haven't missed nursing for one minute and that was quite a well paid job, I don't miss nights either.

I'm going to get an ECS card, that way at least if it does go the wrong way and I'm left looking for work, I can register with the agencies straight away. Just trying to cover all bases.

Thanks for the words all, this place has been the backbone of my learning and I owe its members a lot.

I'm filling up....

Good luck,dude,but remember,whenever someone has been kidnapped,interfered with,or introduced to a cult......it's ALWAYS the uncle that did it....;)

All the best on your brave new venture, I am sure it will work well and you can progress from strength to strength. However it may take time to do, so be prepared for that as well.
Hope it goes well.

Best wishes.

I was in full time occupation until I was 50 when the bubble burst on the DOT.COM industry. I jumped out of PAYEland and took up sparking as a self-employed sole-trader. Needed to build a reputation and a customer-base.

I've survived for more than 15 years at it, so you'll be fine.

Similar story here. I had a 'proper job' until I was 46.

Reply to Wish me luck in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock