Discuss Without Part P Scheme? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Craig1982

I have seen people on this forum say thay are not with a scheme and still carry out domestic work. Now as I am new to this I was under the impression that you had to be with one of the bodys to carry out domestic work? So I have a couple of questions,

1. Do you need to be with one of the bodies/schemes to do domestic work?
2. If you dont how to you go about signing off the work yourself and all the legal side of things, eg building control etc?
3. If there is anything else I would need to no if I did not chose to go with one of the schemes?

Thanks

Craig

most LABCs require you to be a member of a cash cow scheme. otherwise you have to pay them to certify your work. download the part p doc. and have a read of it.

Cheers Tel, dose anyone not use the schemes and if posible run through a breakdown of how they go about there work, if possible?

Only certain work, has to be notified, such as new work in kitchens, bathrooms, gardens, new circuits and CU changes.
Replacement of existing equipment, additions and alterations to existing circuits (other than in such areas as listed above) does not.

I have seen people on this forum say thay are not with a scheme and still carry out domestic work. Now as I am new to this I was under the impression that you had to be with one of the bodys to carry out domestic work? So I have a couple of questions,

2. If you dont how to you go about signing off the work yourself and all the legal side of things, eg building control etc?
3. If there is anything else I would need to no if I did not chose to go with one of the schemes?

Thanks

Craig

I have worked with people or companies that are responsible for the installation, inspection and testing :thumbsup

I am not in a position to be able to advertise for work yet as I am not a member of a scheme. This is the goal I am working towards though :)

IF a job came in by word of mouth (rewire for example) then I would inform the LABC beforehand and have them inspect/test and sign off for me.

Hope this has helped answer some of your questions?:thumbsup

Not necessarily: see spinlondon's post about which types of work do not need notifying
and Telectrix's post about the document:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/partp/approved
If it is notifiable work then you do not have to be a scheme member but it is very expensive and slow.

If you are doing notifiable work without a scheme then you need to inform Building control beforehand they will assess your work at various stages to ensure the work is OK, they will arrange testing if necessary and issue a building completion certificate at the end. This will cost up to £300 per job of any size.
Some Building controls are reasonable if you are qualified and may not need inspection but they will still charge.

In order to cover the costs of any notifiable job you would need to charge the customer about £300 more than anyone within a scheme and so you would not get the job.

Thanks everyone for you answers, that has answered them all for me. And in reply to Murdoch's question I do and will be with a scheme when I start doing my electrics full time, but when I get my qualifications I will still be working at my current job and as you no it is very expensive so if I only do a few jobs in a year(at weekends/evenings) it will be a waste of money. I will contact my local LABC and see how much it is per job and if it is cheap enough I will do my first jobs that way, obviously if it is £300 I might aswell just join then and there but I have herd it could be as cheap as £30?

Have a look on the district council website for your location (or the location where you will do the work) and they should have a list of charges available.
E.g. for Chelmsford they are here http://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/media/pdf/4/g/Current_Charges.pdfhttp://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/media/pdf/4/g/Current_Charges.pdf
They seem quite high in Chelmsford, unfortunately, but you would have to look into it more to check precisely. I do notice that they almost automatically assume a Part P registered electrician.
Just looking at it it is very silly you can build a new house for £1200 and have a new radial circuit for your shower for £450 is this comparable?

Anyway good luck with the progress on your career, hope it all goes well.

i have heard that napit do something called just 8, i think, a cheap membership allowing you to do 8 notifiable jobs per year, something like that .

Reply to Without Part P Scheme? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock