Discuss Without Pendants in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

greenm4n

Hi - I'm a newbie on this forum so go easy on me!

I have an install where the customer has specified ceiling mounted light fittings, (e.g. bathroom-type fittings).
The fitting only has single Live & single Neutral terminal.

i) Where do all the other connections go?
ii) Is it right to just use connection blocks + PVC Tape & push into the ceiling void?

Currently in install has been wired in the normal way for domestic lighting, (e.g. One cable to previous fitting, One cable to next fitting and 3rd cable to Wall light switch.

iii) Is there a better way to wire a lights circuit when most of the lights are without pendant fittings?

Steve Shaw
(still to work out his catchy signature!!)

Hi - I'm a newbie on this forum so go easy on me!

I have an install where the customer has specified ceiling mounted light fittings, (e.g. bathroom-type fittings).
The fitting only has single Live & single Neutral terminal.

i) Where do all the other connections go?
ii) Is it right to just use connection blocks + PVC Tape & push into the ceiling void?

Currently in install has been wired in the normal way for domestic lighting, (e.g. One cable to previous fitting, One cable to next fitting and 3rd cable to Wall light switch.

iii) Is there a better way to wire a lights circuit when most of the lights are without pendant fittings?

Steve Shaw
(still to work out his catchy signature!!)

Welcome to the forum.

Do you mean a batten-lampholder like this: http://www.discount-electrical.co.u...th-terminals/b06025b5f6b8227e74bdb3c8908187f0

This should still have a connection base (like a ceiling rose).

You shouldn't really be asking question ii)

Last edited:
would be better to purchase surface fittings that accommodate a loop terminal in future. In the mean time you will have to install an accessible joint box just prior to the light fitting.

take all cables into the fitting. terminate the permanent feeds into a wago. connect the switched line , N and cpc to the terminals in the fitting.

guys sorry to maybe deviate a little hear but trying to get my head round a little thing.

Hole in ceiling? Put wagos in a choc box and push through ceiling into void....this means you must have a hole big enough. How do you then attach a fitting as you have a large hole?

prob simples but im an idiot

The fittings you're talking about are probably the ones which come with a brace that secure via 2 screws flush to the ceiling and then the fitting itself screws on to that, the distance between the 2 screws is usually at least 100mm and a hole wouldn't need to be much greater than 60mm.

guys sorry to maybe deviate a little hear but trying to get my head round a little thing.

Hole in ceiling? Put wagos in a choc box and push through ceiling into void....this means you must have a hole big enough. How do you then attach a fitting as you have a large hole?

Any typical surface light fitting will have a large enough base to cover a hole required for a joint box similar to wago or hager. Positioning for a secure fixing is the key, near a joist. If you rely on plasterboard fixings and cut a hole you will possibly have trouble.

Bashing a big hole in the ceiling and compromising the fire integrity so you can push a load of connectors through it saves having to have the neutrals connected behind the switch, which some people find unacceptable for some reason.

Reply to Without Pendants in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net