Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss woah! Danger present with BG outdoor light switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. daveb

daveb Regular EF Member

Thought i'd share this one that happened to me today....

Was wiring up a customer gazebo with BG weatherproof fittings (light switch, sockets, JB and mains board). Anyway, all went fine and was on to testing the circuits.... circuits all tested fine.

The lighting cables were terminated into a JB for the time being as the customer does not have the lights yet. So, once I had finished and just by chance i thought i would use my voltage pen on the connectors just to prove the light switch was off. Pen lit up but the switch was off? Scratched the head..... used my voltage tester and was getting 108 volts with the switch off!

The BG outfdoor light switch has a neon on it via a resitor on the lead between common and one way terminal..... guessed that this was the problem rather than a faulty switch so removed it which in turn completely removed all voltage when the switch was off.

Very dangerous if you were relying on the switch to isolate the power so thought i would share.

Anyone else come across this before??

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dave OCD

Dave OCD Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Hendry Electrical Services
    Interesting one that, wired that way the neon generally glows with the switch in the off position as an aid to locating the switch in the dark then goes off when a load is applied-the lights are on. Maybe this was because you had nothing connected at the load side and therefore a floating voltage ?

3. Marvo

Marvo GMES....You absolute beauty. YOU ROCK DUDE!!!! Staff Member

Isn't this going to cause a problem with lickering LED lamps as well?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Marvo

Marvo GMES....You absolute beauty. YOU ROCK DUDE!!!! Staff Member

Another reason a neutral in a switch box isn't a bad idea......
    (tin hat on)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Dave OCD

Business Name:
    I think that's the best way, connect the neon across the permanent live and neutral, of course the neon won't go out when the switch is on but can't see that being significant.

6. daveb

daveb Regular EF Member

youre correct Dave OCD. The neon was on very faintly when in the off position and at the time i believed it was faulty as it wasnt coming on when switched on.

It obviously was faulty though as it was still giving off 108 volts when off. This would have given you a wee dunt for sure.

7. Dave OCD

Business Name:
    Yes you'd certainly feel that voltage Dave, I suspect the voltage would disappear once you have the lights fitted though, too knackered right now to explain it properly though. :)

8. D00DY_T00DY

D00DY_T00DY Gorilla Whisperer Electrician's Arms

Recently been wiring our lights via a feed into the switch rather than the lights...
    Much better imo

• Like Like x 1
  9. ruston

ruston Trusted Advisor

It makes more sense now in domestics with the demise of the humble ceiling rose ,and saves on the MF junctions.
    I have been doing this for a long time now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  10. SJD

SJD Trusted Advisor

Yes! I had a recent rental property job where they had changed the outside light from halogen to LED, and it didn't turn off completely. This BG switch was the culprit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. D00DY_T00DY

Especially with most customers choosing spots as their go to lighting. That first spot with 3/4 cables... not needed.

Viva la neutral at the switch! (the movement group name will need a re think)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. daveb

daveb Regular EF Member

i think it's mainly an english thing to wire permenant feeds to ceiling roses. We have typically been taught to wire from the switch and not to the ceiling rose. In my opinion its the only way to do it! It is not often i come across the perm live to ceiling method but when i do, it bugs the hell out of me!

• Like Like x 1
  13. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    MK switches are the same it has a neutral terminal in it I think that the fitting instructions show fitting neon/switch locator both ways. Thanks for the info on using with LED fittings.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  14. D00DY_T00DY

It's so great my movement is catching on so quicky :) never thought it'd go this well.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. ruston

ruston Trusted Advisor

And the Hager switch range is a godsend. :)

• Like Like x 1