• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss woah! Danger present with BG outdoor light switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

daveb

-
Reaction score
Thought i'd share this one that happened to me today....

Was wiring up a customer gazebo with BG weatherproof fittings (light switch, sockets, JB and mains board). Anyway, all went fine and was on to testing the circuits.... circuits all tested fine.

The lighting cables were terminated into a JB for the time being as the customer does not have the lights yet. So, once I had finished and just by chance i thought i would use my voltage pen on the connectors just to prove the light switch was off. Pen lit up but the switch was off? Scratched the head..... used my voltage tester and was getting 108 volts with the switch off!

The BG outfdoor light switch has a neon on it via a resitor on the lead between common and one way terminal..... guessed that this was the problem rather than a faulty switch so removed it which in turn completely removed all voltage when the switch was off.

Very dangerous if you were relying on the switch to isolate the power so thought i would share.

Anyone else come across this before??

Interesting one that, wired that way the neon generally glows with the switch in the off position as an aid to locating the switch in the dark then goes off when a load is applied-the lights are on. Maybe this was because you had nothing connected at the load side and therefore a floating voltage ?

I think that's the best way, connect the neon across the permanent live and neutral, of course the neon won't go out when the switch is on but can't see that being significant.

youre correct Dave OCD. The neon was on very faintly when in the off position and at the time i believed it was faulty as it wasnt coming on when switched on.

It obviously was faulty though as it was still giving off 108 volts when off. This would have given you a wee dunt for sure.

Yes you'd certainly feel that voltage Dave, I suspect the voltage would disappear once you have the lights fitted though, too knackered right now to explain it properly though. :)

It makes more sense now in domestics with the demise of the humble ceiling rose ,and saves on the MF junctions.
I have been doing this for a long time now.

It makes more sense now in domestics with the demise of the humble ceiling rose ,and saves on the MF junctions.
I have been doing this for a long time now.
Especially with most customers choosing spots as their go to lighting. That first spot with 3/4 cables... not needed.

Viva la neutral at the switch! (the movement group name will need a re think)

i think it's mainly an english thing to wire permenant feeds to ceiling roses. We have typically been taught to wire from the switch and not to the ceiling rose. In my opinion its the only way to do it! It is not often i come across the perm live to ceiling method but when i do, it bugs the hell out of me!

MK switches are the same it has a neutral terminal in it I think that the fitting instructions show fitting neon/switch locator both ways. Thanks for the info on using with LED fittings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to woah! Danger present with BG outdoor light switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back