Discuss woah! Danger present with BG outdoor light switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

We always used to 3 plate ceiling roses but started to feed switch for show houses then started to wire this way as when people moved in to their new home was taking ceiling rose down and making a pigs ear of installing their own fitting up like there have been on this forum.

We always used to 3 plate ceiling roses but started to feed switch for show houses then started to wire this way as when people moved in to their new home was taking ceiling rose down and making a pigs ear of installing their own fitting up like there have been on this forum.
Much easier on 2nd fix as well. One cable at the fitting and just 2 wires in common rather than one and a connector block for neutrals.

Thought i'd share this one that happened to me today....

Was wiring up a customer gazebo with BG weatherproof fittings (light switch, sockets, JB and mains board). Anyway, all went fine and was on to testing the circuits.... circuits all tested fine.

The lighting cables were terminated into a JB for the time being as the customer does not have the lights yet. So, once I had finished and just by chance i thought i would use my voltage pen on the connectors just to prove the light switch was off. Pen lit up but the switch was off? Scratched the head..... used my voltage tester and was getting 108 volts with the switch off!

The BG outfdoor light switch has a neon on it via a resitor on the lead between common and one way terminal..... guessed that this was the problem rather than a faulty switch so removed it which in turn completely removed all voltage when the switch was off.

Very dangerous if you were relying on the switch to isolate the power so thought i would share.

Anyone else come across this before??

Perfectly normal, it's the way these locator neons have worked for a long time, MK weatherproof are exactly the same along with others. The only time it will be a problem is when idiots who don't know how to safely isolate atttempt to work on it, and then they might just learn a lesson.

Neon power indicators are a trap for younger inexperienced electricians
But most experienced electricians know about them
So it surprises me you have not come across this before
the current levels are usually very small
but yes they can make LED's and even some CFL'S
produce a faint glow.

Perfectly normal, it's the way these locator neons have worked for a long time, MK weatherproof are exactly the same along with others. The only time it will be a problem is when idiots who don't know how to safely isolate atttempt to work on it, and then they might just learn a lesson.

About the sort of reply we've come to expect.

I think I started wiring lighting looping feeds through switches around 20 years ago, probably more. At the time older sparks would frown upon it saying people could connect sockets etc from a light switch but times have changed. :)

Both methods have there advantages. When we do new builds 9/10 times the switch is fed. When doing rewires with a pendant in each room we normally 3 plate the light as less to get down to the switch.

What I find easier still for rewiring ground floor lights Lee is a central JB with a cable from each light,switch and the supply back to it. A proper old fashioned method but of course I'd use a maintenance free box with Wagos or Ideal push in connectors and glands. If it's a normal adaptable box I might write 'MF' on it. :D

arghhhhh!!!....... i've come across one of these on a job a couple of times. They've been called an "octopus box". Complete nightmare trying to suss them out!!!

They're ok if done methodically and neatly Dave, I'd also put a label at the CU detailing the location and method used, it could be in an upstairs cupboard if available rather than under the floor.

arghhhhh!!!....... i've come across one of these on a job a couple of times. They've been called an "octopus box". Complete nightmare trying to suss them out!!!

Why s nightmare? Lighting circuits are very simple to work out, it's just a few switches and lights.
If you find a central JB on a lighting circuit to be a complete nightmare then how on earth do you cope with simple control systems?

Reply to woah! Danger present with BG outdoor light switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net