Discuss won't install new cooker without new extraction!? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ah ok. Sounds best to go with electric. AFAIK even the ventilation for building regs (provided you have an opening window) only apply to new kitchens, not existing.

Just to be clear the kitchen DOES already have an opening window and it's only a 6-burner used three times a day. It's not like a big restaurant or anything.

I would get a second quote, if they also state the requirement for such equipment then I would accept the requirements for it, also through experience I have found said company that has been mentioned are not always the cheapest option, they often use subbed in local contractors so they act as middle men which can be more costly then going direct to a local registered installer.
You would need to weigh up the demand on the new range if you go electric against the max demand of the premises already, even with modern more efficient oven/hobs, they still can be heavy uses of electric.

Ah ok. Sounds best to go with electric. AFAIK even the ventilation for building regs (provided you have an opening window) only apply to new kitchens, not existing.

Just to be clear the kitchen DOES already have an opening window and it's only a 6-burner used three times a day. It's not like a big restaurant or anything.

So why are you buying a commercial cooker ?
Do you really need one ?
What is the Room Vol?
Is there a door to outside?
Is the oven Gas ?

If you buy a commercial gas cooker, it MUST be installed to commercial standards.
That is because the manufacturers have classed it as a commercial appliance.

If you buy a domestic cooker, it can be installed to domestic standards and they are worlds apart !

I know this is a Care home but they differ greatly in size, some are only large domestic.

You need to asses the need here before you spend ! it may be unnecessary expense.

Last edited:
OK thanks. So that means that we could replace the existing gas cooker with another domestic one, and the hood extraction plus gas interlock don't apply?

Yes I do think a larger domestic cooker would do for us as it's not a particularly large number of people we cook for, nor is it in constant use.

OK thanks. So that means that we could replace the existing gas cooker with another domestic one, and the hood extraction plus gas interlock don't apply?

Yes I do think a larger domestic cooker would do for us as it's not a particularly large number of people we cook for, nor is it in constant use.

It depends on the size of the room. If you answer these questions, I will tell you the ventilation requirements for a domestic cooker.

Is there a door direct to outside air?
Is there an op-enable window?
What is the room volume in Meters Cubed?

OK thanks last plumber, will get these and come back to you! I believe the answer to the first two is NO door direct to outside air, YES to an open-able window

Best

Reply to won't install new cooker without new extraction!? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net