Discuss Woodburning stove heating system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SSE

-
Reaction score
I have been asked to wire up a heating system for someone, never done this kind before as nearly every man & his dog has gas or oil boilers these days apart from my client who seems to be going back in time! He has a woodburning stove which he is going to use to heat the radiators in the house. There is a water cylinder in the attic. Currently temporarily, as he's not living in the property he has a pump plugged into a nearby socket which he turns on once the woodburner heats up. What all needs to be wired in to make this permanent & safe? I assume I'll need a pipe stat to turn on the pump, where is that stat to be situated? Do I need another stat then to turn the pump off if the water is cold? Any help would be appreciated, links to info pages or wiring diagrams. I'm sure it's all very straight forward once it's explained to me!

A high limit thermostat should be fitted to the gravity flow pipe close to the boiler and set at 90~C. This should over ride any pump control, switching the pump on to dissipate any heat around the radiator circuit.

To prevent boiler corrosion due to condensation its necessary to maintain the return water temp above 45~C so a low limit thermostat set to 45~C on the return hot water pipe from the cylinder, close to the boiler. The thermostat should make on temperature rise preventing the circulating pump from operating until the gravity circuit is up to temperature.

View attachment 35156

View attachment 35157

A high limit thermostat should be fitted to the gravity flow pipe close to the boiler and set at 90~C. This should over ride any pump control, switching the pump on to dissipate any heat around the radiator circuit.

To prevent boiler corrosion due to condensation its necessary to maintain the return water temp above 45~C so a low limit thermostat set to 45~C on the return hot water pipe from the cylinder, close to the boiler. The thermostat should make on temperature rise preventing the circulating pump from operating until the gravity circuit is up to temperature.

View attachment 35156

View attachment 35157

Excellent. Thanks for the quick reply & info. He's already stated he doesn't want a room stat or a programmer, he just wants a switched spur that will be left on & will work from wood burner being heated up. Will this work effectively enough? Half the problem with him is he's wanting it done basic at low cost to get it sold.

The other thing is the stove is situated a couple of metres away from the wall so stats will need to be fitted in attic, is there a certain distance they have to be away from stove?

Reply to Woodburning stove heating system in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock