Discuss Work in Canada in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

Hawk

I've been thinking of going to work in Canada and was wanting your opinions. So here's the deal.....

The company pays for flights, accommodation and sorts the visa out.

You work for 5 weeks and then they fly you home for a week. The shift pattern is either 6 days with a day off, or 13 days with a day off, all 12 hour shifts. The latter obviously gets a bit more money.

The pay is £950 a week and you either stay in a camp, with your own room and shared bathroom, or a house share. Depending on where you are working.

Now if you work it out 12x6=72hours.
950/72= £13.19 an hour. That's after tax aswell. So £950 a week after tax. Doesn't seem that much cause if you did the same hours over here, you could make near enough the same doe!

What do you reckon?

Do you get any staying away from home allowances/subsistence etc

Unless you are guaranteed a minimum 12 month contract and you don't spend more than 6 weeks (i think it is) in the UK during that year, you will be liable to UK TAX on the full amount that you earned. You could be in for a lot of too'ing and throwing between the the two different tax systems sorting it all out. So be careful when considering ANY overseas work.

I take it that you will be working on installing a manufacturer's plant or equipment, otherwise you would need a Canadian electricians registration ticket if working on general electrical installation work...?? Oh and for gods sake, make sure the company employee medical insurance is well up to scratch or you could be wiped out, you're not a citizen of Canada.

I wouldn't mind spending the week off in Canada, but don't think they would give me the flight money! Lol.

It was advertised on a job site over here in N.Ireland.

Yes they did say it would be best to speak to an accountant regarding the tax. And the company is signed up to a Canadian insurance scheme but also have to get travel insurance. (would have got it anyway).

Food, accommodation and a flight home every 5 weeks. Plus after you have the required hours of working as an electrician in Canada, the company puts you through your red seal exam.

You work as a 4th year apprentice until you have the required hours to do red seal.

Food, accommodation and a flight home every 5 weeks. Plus after you have the required hours of working as an electrician in Canada, the company puts you through your red seal exam.

You work as a 4th year apprentice until you have the required hours to do red seal.

Do you have any links for this ?

Depending on your family life and commitments I would be tempted to go and at least give it a try, life is too short to miss opportunities.
You may go out there and love it, which could lead to a brand new career path.
If however you have work commitments here then maybe it's not a good idea. Whilst we obviously go to work for money it isn't everything, sometimes in life it's about getting out there and trying something new and exciting.

Wise words GMES. I've seen a fair bit of the world as I did a stint in the merchant navy. Was in Novia Scotia in Canada and it seemed nice, but bloody freezing! Lol.
Part of me is saying go for it and the other part is saying well why give up your job here, which is a good enough job. But then as the say: nothing ventured nothing gained!

Reply to Work in Canada in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock