Discuss Working abroad in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Q

QSGAZ

Hi all.
My company is going to be doing work across Europe, I'm currentley the QS but don't have much experience about the standars abroad,

Can some one tell me what I will need to do to meet eu standards and do they except niceic certificates, any help will do, just not to sure where to start
cheers

Hi all.
My company is going to be doing work across Europe, I'm currentley the QS but don't have much experience about the standars abroad,

Can some one tell me what I will need to do to meet eu standards and do they except niceic certificates, any help will do, just not to sure where to start
cheers

That is down to your company to worry about, not you!! Your company will need to take all these factors into account to ensure the installations your company are involved in, comply with the standards, codes of that country!!

I am having the same trouble locating good clear guidance in English on what is required in several European countries!! I have some information pointing to regulations requiring RCD Protected circuits and some EURO UNION info about harmonisation across European Countries that points to us all doing basically the same in the not to distant future if they get their way. ( As is happening with our updated regulations, want to bet we lose our Ring Circuit concession soon!!) I am really struggling with the Eastern European systems and find their standards appalling! In Hungary most older homes get a 32 Amp or 40 amp incomer and maybe three circuits. Sockets, all radial one supply star wired to each room then looped to each socket NO EARTH!!!! Lights the same and a water heater or cooker (Usually one or the other) I inspected a friends house out there whilst visiting and I was seriously shocked at the sloppy workmanship and no real understanding of the requirements for earthing. I found most houses I visited were similar with reliance on RCDs as a sole means of protection against shock and poor earth installations if any. Although a lot of appliances are now double insulated there are some that still carry a real risk.

I am doing it because I own a property there now and it is for self interest, my advice for what its worth is- unless YOU stand to make some serious money out of it personally then leave it to the business owners to PAY a decent translation service to do the bits of the relevant countries regulations you need for the work. It is deductible and there are many freelancing translators out there looking for work in the countries you may work in. You never Know their may even be a sparkie or two you could take on as a technical advisor (Semi retired bloke maybe)

Hope this helps

Hi all.

cheers

What exactly is the type of installations your company will be installing?? If it's machinery or similar, you will only be interested in the codes/regulations required to install that machine. If on the other hand your talking about full general power/lighting installations then that's a different matter altogether!! lol!!

Its all telecom's Engineer54, i have got as far as that alot of the installations require double pole main switch's, but thats about it really

They will not accept niceic certs. Each country has their own regulatory body and you will most probably first have your qualifications assessed by them before you will be allowed to take their exam to certify installations.

The easy option is to get a local company to do the inspections and to certify it. The bs7671 is in line with euro standards and if you will look at the numbers of the respective country`s regulations in their regs book you will see 90% of it will be the same as bs7671. Each country still has it own variations. Like the UK that uses ring circuits while euro countries only might only do that in special locations like hospitals.

It really depends on the country. I have the euro regs and some other countries regs somewhere on my pc if you want. Any chance of knowing in which countries you will work? as I might be able to give some more details if it is the countries I have experience with.

Hi bobzzz, you wouldn't happen to have the Hungarian Regulations would you? Or a link to any information on them?

hi happy hippy
i have worked abroad in most countries for many years as people have said each country will have it,s own regs most are well below our standards C E N E L E C are supposed to be the new european standards and can be obtained via the E.U web site all though they have not been totally embraced many of the regs are in use hope this helps a bit you may also have problems with the frequency being produced in some area,s of eastern europe as thay are often private generated systems and your equiment /tools may not work on them we always hired generators from england

Hi bobzzz, you wouldn't happen to have the Hungarian Regulations would you? Or a link to any information on them?
Electrical forum Villanyszerel? Szakmai Fórum and some info here Villanyszerelés, villanyszerel?, kivitelezés, szaktanácsadás

To buy the standards here Magyar Szabványügyi Testület or to view them online Online Szabványkönyvtár .Unfortunately I don`t understand Hungarian so can not be of much help

No problem. Not trying to hijack the tread but would like to know if there is anyone that has any experience of working in the czech republic?

Reply to Working abroad in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock